XP tweaks for bad eyesight

setecio 12:55 27 Aug 2007

What are the best changes in XP to make for someone with bad eyesight ? So far I have this list but wondering if there are others or good software that makes a big difference.

Display properites-settings-screen resolution
Display properties- appearance -font size
Internet explorer - view - text size
Start-programs-accessories-accessibility-magnifier

Any recommendations? Thanks.

holme 13:05 27 Aug 2007

Suggest:

a) Right-click on desktop and select Properties - Appearance - Effects - then ensure the 'Use the following method to smooth edges of screen fonts' box is ticked - then select ClearType (I think the default is Standard) and OK.

b) Then click Start - Control Panel - ClearType Tuning and work through the Wizard for a preferred setting. IMHO the 'heavier' settings can improve contrast and therefore readability, but frankly it's very subjective.

HTH.

mfletch 13:12 27 Aug 2007

Hi,Not XP But You could try a text reader,

click here

I tried one? not bad but a bit robotic,

I suppose you have to pay to get a better voice?

mfletch

brundle 13:12 27 Aug 2007

Ask them what the easiest colours for them to use are, everyone is different, contrast & colour settings which look OK to your eyes might be totally wrong to them. Some people use magnifier across the top third of the screen. The accessibility options you've listed are all very useful for people with visual problems, beyond that you have the option of using the Narrator, or magnifier with two screens. The built-in voice gets grating very quickly but for people who have little choice, it can be a vital tool. The more human-sounding speech products all cost money. I work with a few partially sighted people btw, and as I said, each of them has different requirements.
Don't forget Extra Large / High Contrast mouse pointers - in XP you may need to go into Add/Remove Progams - WIndows Components/Accessories/Mouse Pointers to make them available.

Stuartli 15:10 27 Aug 2007

If you use Firefox, you can increase/decrease the font size using Ctrl and + or -

In Internet Explorer, it's Ctrl and moving the mouse's scroll wheel in the required direction.

Also ClearType (from XP Power Tools) will aid text reading.

Also check out Start>Programs>Accessories>Accessibility features.

setecio 09:07 28 Aug 2007

Thanks ... noticed another, while looking at all that, in
Display properties - appearance - effects - use large icons

johnnyrocker 09:21 28 Aug 2007

a further point prob wortwhile is to hold ctrl and scroll with wheelmouse to enlarge print at will.

johny.

Stuartli 09:56 28 Aug 2007

See my 15:10 posting..:-)

johnnyrocker 10:20 28 Aug 2007

dont get the relevance of your post.

johnnny.

johnnyrocker 10:21 28 Aug 2007

misread it as the one above solly;)

johnny.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone