XP Times 2

sean-278262 20:10 01 Nov 2004

Oh my. I just noticed a certain youth over the weekend has messed my computer up. Said youth has installed xp onto my second backup drive, so now I have XP on my hard drives times 2.

How can I go about getting rid of the surplus xp install? it seems to be the one being used to boot, as the drive is a 5400rpm 15gb disk used for backup only. the other is a 7200rpm 120 gb disk and it takes much longer to boot so I guess it must be loading from the older drive.

Im going to kill him when I get my hands on him (no only a joke) but think he is going to be barred from now on though.

spikeychris 20:27 01 Nov 2004

Are you offered an option to boot from? If so the BOOT.INI file will need editing

"How to Edit the BOOT.INI File in
Windows XP" click here

This basically involves going to Control Panel, System, Advanced, Startup and Recovery, Settings. In
the System Startup section, click the Edit button. This will bring up
BOOT.INI. You could post the results here if you're concerned.

You can delete anything you wish off of the installation you want to kill, with the
exception of NTLDR, NTDETECT.COM and BOOT.INI.

spikeychris 20:31 01 Nov 2004

Actually I have just noticed that the offending installation is on a separate drive. Go to BIOS and select the other drive to boot and then open the other drive from my computer and delete the installation.

sean-278262 20:52 01 Nov 2004

sorry spikey chris but I dont understand what you mean there.

Thinking about it could I not just reformat the partition on the backup drive with windows loaded to it? saving my data beforehand.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires