xp taking ages to load

gizzyx 01:03 23 Feb 2008

a mates system is taking ages to boot up. he tells me that after the memory test/ drive detection etc stage, a black screen with a white/black progress bar appears for approx. 5 mins before the windows xp logo appears.this is after a clean install (from a master backup section on a separate hdd partition). a bit of background:- a failed Quick time install (i suspect, as this started the chain of events) caused a catastrophic failure. i tried to recover his non booting system with recovery console, chkdsk /r. one or more unrecoverable errors were found. he had a factory "as new" recovery system on the machine and followed the instructions to do this. allwas ok, except that quite often, on shutting down the system, it would restart instead of shutting down. apparently, it did this before this latest crisis. as a clean recovery had been done, i got him to check in the bios for any enabled "wake on" settings. wake on ring, and wake on pme were enabled. these were disabled, and this stopped the restarting problem, but the slow startup problem occured. these "wake on" settings have been re-enabled, but the slow start-up hasn't gone away. any ideas, guys. i'm at a loss.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:32 23 Feb 2008

Bad device drivers,

try updating or reinstalling the drivers in device manager.

gizzyx 12:15 23 Feb 2008

ok, will try that, mate.

gizzyx 14:58 27 Feb 2008

sorry it's been a while. getting access hasn't been easy. i've reinstalled new, updated drivers for nvidia graphics, onboard sound, chipset, lan, amr modem and usb all from packard bell website which identifies exact drivers from the system serial number. still no joy. any more ideas, guys?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:01 27 Feb 2008

Try a repair

Repair XP by replacing corrupt files
Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?