XP System Restore doesn't

Chas 19:44 24 Feb 2007

I know that system restore sometimes fails to restore to any restore point and recall that this is because of an interaction with something else that needs to be disabled before the restore will work. In fact, i've done this - some time ago - but can't remember what I did. Does this ring any bells with anyone here who could enlighten me (please - I'm really in deep doodoo right now............)

Thanks

Chas

muddypaws 19:52 24 Feb 2007

This came up the other day with this link;
click here
Also I seem to have read on here something to do with switching off Norton or part of. If you have it that is.

muddypaws 19:55 24 Feb 2007

Also if you have S.R. running on more than one drive disable it on other than 'C'. I have done that on mine since that thread, but not tried SR yet.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:52 24 Feb 2007

System Restore Problems click here

terryf 21:44 24 Feb 2007

Consider Acronis True Image instead of system restore, in my opinion TI is more reliable than system restore

muddypaws 09:44 25 Feb 2007

Chas: An update.
For as long as I can remember SR didn't work for me.
Did as you suggested , turned it off on D & G the other day, and today I needed it and it worked. So thanks for the tip. Very helpful. muddypaws.

Chas 11:07 25 Feb 2007

Muddypaws: I'm not sure what I suggested, but I'm glad it worked! I have now disabled monitoring on my external backup drive (F)and will keep an eye on it. I'm sure it was something to do with disabling Norton Antivirus - and it might even have been a temporary edit to the registry - but I really can't remember. As it happens I've found another way around the need to restore (a rogue installation of Norton Personal Firewall)which was preventing access to the internet except from Safe Mode. But I know I'll need SR again someday and it would be comforting to know it's there when I need it. Thanks for you help.
Chas.

muddypaws 14:15 25 Feb 2007

Chas:
It was edstowe that posted that suggestion.
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?