XP System Restore?

night 17:42 06 Jun 2008

I have a Lap top and it seems I have lost System restore, is there any way I can retrieve it without having to reboot the Lap Top from the XP Disc, this is coupled with some Web Pages I can't get I guess due to the above problem or with Explorer itself.

Forum Editor 18:48 06 Jun 2008

into the system restore routine, but you'll lose any previous restore points. Assuming your computer is running OK that shouldn't be a problem, and if you're happy about that, follow these steps:

1. Right click on 'My computer' and select 'Properties', then click the System Restore Tab.

2. Tick the box that says "Disable System Restore"

3. Click "Apply" and restart the computer when prompted.

4. Once the computer has restarted, go back to the System Restore tab again and this time remove the tick from the "Disable System Restore" box.

5. Now restart your computer.

6.Go to Start/Accessories/System Tools/Restore and choose "Create a Restore Point"

7. Give the restore point a name.

8. After this Restore Point has successfully been created go back to Start/Accessories/System Tools/Restore and choose "Restore my computer to an earlier date and time"

9. Select the Restore Point you created, and watch Windows restore your computer.

That should do the trick - Windows should subsequently carry on creating automatic restore points.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone