XP System Crash

Veitcy 12:09 24 Jun 2005

Whilst on the internet I got the dreaded blue screen stating system corrupted restart computer. I tried but it would not start so went into setup and set to start from xp disk. This said press R for repair but no go just stated restart so tried again but xp disk wants to format my hard disk.Am I sunk or can I save anything. Help!!!

mattyc_92 12:13 24 Jun 2005

You don't have to format the drive... You can re-install Windows over itself (even in DOS mode)

Just press enter (i think it is) instead of pressing "d", "l", "Enter", "Enter" to install and format...

I would wait until another member verifies this as I can't remember how to do it off the top of my head.

rawprawn 14:05 24 Jun 2005

click here Scroll through to what you want, it is a very good explicit site. Print out the one you want and follow instructions.

Veitcy 14:05 24 Jun 2005

I would do what you say but I have blank screen no dos nothing only when I go into d drive with xp disk but no options are given only partition or format?

Terry Brown 14:36 24 Jun 2005

I don't know if this will help,but try making an XP Boot disk. You will need the following files.--ntldr.com---ntdetect.com---boot.ini. Copy them to a floppy disk. Set your machine to boot from floppy and re-start. This will bypass your personal start up and may re-start the maching.Alternatly insert the XP disk and run the install, when you get to the blue screen (terms and conditions--F8 to continure) press F8 the escape to get more options, select R (repair) and re-install XP. Good Luck

Terry Brown 15:23 24 Jun 2005

There is another option if you cannot access your CD to re-boot.. Go to click here and download the XP version your require ---e.g. xp home , pro , standard , sp1 , sp2-- open up the files and create floppy diskd (Normally 6). Set the machine to boot from floopy , insert the CD in the drive and floppy 1 in the 3.5" slot.re-start the machine. when you get to the terms and conditions (F8) press F8 then ESC. Carefully read the on screen instructions and select R for repair. select the same dir on you system and the System will re-start, delketeing the current operating system and re-loading the new (from the CD). This should not affect any non-windows programs, however as with all major installations there is no guarantee.

Veitcy 17:19 29 Jun 2005

Despite trying all suggestions and even downloading 6 floppy's from Microsoft as boot disks I get the same " Either hard drive is corrupted or there are missing files reformat the partition or c:"
It would seem I need to take to repairer or try reformatting.

Despite trying all suggestions and even downloading 6 floppy's from Microsoft as boot disks I get the same " Either hard drive is corrupted or there are missing files reformat the partition or c:"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?