XP suddenly not valid/

Ray5776 13:35 18 Apr 2009

Hi everyone,
Have been running XP pro on this machine for about 18mnths. It was pre installed there was no disk.

Now I am getting the not genuine messages.

I would like to try to activate it again but cannot find a link to do it on the net or a phone number.

All I have done recently is change the monitor and I can`t see that causing it.

If I can`t re-activate it I do have another copy of XP on a genuine disk but I don`t want to reinstall the O/S if I can possibly avoid it.

Can anyone help on this please.

Ray

OTT_Buzzard 13:41 18 Apr 2009

To activate:

go to the start menu - all programmes - accessories - system tools.

Activate windows is in that menu. It may not help you if someone else has your license key installed in their pc though.

Ray5776 13:52 18 Apr 2009

Thanks OTT but I do not have "activate windows" in the system tools menu ?

OTT_Buzzard 13:56 18 Apr 2009

ok,

Start Menu - Run

Type:

oobe/msoobe /a

That should bring up the activation

Ray5776 14:16 18 Apr 2009

Thanks it did, curious though as it says "Windows is allready activated click OK"
If it is activated does this mean it is also validated or is this something else.

OTT_Buzzard 14:23 18 Apr 2009

Ahh right. I think this is more liekly to be a Windows Genuine Advantage thing. Go to Windows update (click here) and do whatever updates are available, but make sure it includes the Windows Genuine Advantage Tool. it will probably require this to continue with the rest of the updates.

Ray5776 14:44 18 Apr 2009

sorry I did not explain very well in my first post.
I have the WGA tool, this is what is giving the message "you may be the victim of ETC ETC"
This is the thing I am trying to resolve.
Going down the WGA path I find that the VLK is blocked but this has only just occured, last 2 or 3 days.

birdface 14:47 18 Apr 2009

Maybe run your security programs just in case you have a nastie on your computer.

Ray5776 14:51 18 Apr 2009

Good idea buteman, will do

Ray5776 15:57 18 Apr 2009

Not showing anything apart from some registry entries which are now fixed.
Anyone any ideas?
If this VLK is now blocked for whatever reason can I use the key from my spare disk which has the COA without having to reinstall the whole O/S.

birdface 16:30 18 Apr 2009

Do you not have a coa sticker on the back or side of the computer with the keycode on it.If so that is all you need.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?