xp is in style of w98 & cant go back to back to XP

Migwell 09:31 04 Jun 2009

My Windows XP computer has taken on the effect of Windows 98 and I can't get it to go back to the display style and the colours of windows XP.

My System Restore has not worked for some time now. And it seems to take for ever to boot the computer up to a point where I see the Icons on the desk top.

I have done a sccan with AVG latest version and a scan with A Squared with out anything showing up also with Regestry Mechanic.

Any thoughts on this subject would be very helpful, it works OK at all other times.

Thamks
Migwell

Technotiger 09:38 04 Jun 2009

Try running click here and any other anti-malware programs you may have.

Another good example of - wish I had Acronis!

Migwell 12:48 04 Jun 2009

Thanks Technotiger.

I have just downloaded the link and am doing a scan with SUPERAntiSpywear right now. I will let you know how it goes. Migwell

kalignorgna 12:59 04 Jun 2009

when the computer is loaded click on start then click on run and type in cmd when the display box aperars type in chkdsk c: /r and hit enter then y and enter to any messages that apear exit thecommand promt and reset your computer.

let the computer run check disk and when finished see if it runs any better.

Batch 13:42 04 Jun 2009

If by "effect of Windows 98" you mean the menu / desktop style etc., you need to check / change 2 things.

1. Right click on the desktop and select Properties. Click on the Appreanace tab and on the "Windows and buttons" drop down select an alternative style (e.g. not Windows Classic).

2. Right click on the Start button and select Propertoes. Then select the Start Menu option (rather than the Classic Start Menu option).

Migwell 17:02 04 Jun 2009

No further forward after scanning with Superanti spywear or AVG or A2. Chkdsk-c: r no makes difference.
In windows Properties under Windows buttons there is only (Windows Classis Style) no other options.
Colour scheme there are many options but it makes no difference if either Windows Standard or Windows Classic option is selected. Start button is gray not green the panel that comes up when start is clicked is the same shape and layout as XP but it is all gray also making it look like windows 98 was selected some where.

Migwell

Migwell 17:04 04 Jun 2009

I had this happen a long time back but System Restore worked in those days and it did put it back to the normal Windows XP look
Migwell

User-1229748 17:47 04 Jun 2009

one of the options in the link in this thread should do the trickclick here

Migwell 00:48 05 Jun 2009

Thanks to smackheadz
Sorted \ Resolved
I followed through to option 271 re-booted.

Went into display Properties
Themes
Dropdown menu which before would not show Windows XP before, but now showes Windows XP clicked on it,then on apply then OK and all was made well again.

100 million thanks

User-1229748 00:56 05 Jun 2009

excellent,thanks for ticking resolved :o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires