xp startup issue!, reboot etc!

gazmix 09:57 27 Oct 2010

Hi

I had this issue before but it just seems sometimes to remedy itself!

At the moment i use this pc all day once a week.

Yesterday i used the disk drive, opened & closed it a few times & then needed to reboot!

I got this message as soon as the pc started

click here

It kept looping & looping to the same page without Windows xp starting!

I tried all the options & nothing, although it does start in safe mode!

The 1 thing i noticed is that when i opened the disk drive at the same time as pc boots, it seems to sometimes work!
It's like its not booting to C drive or something!
Can i set the pc so it always boots to c drive??

Help appreciated

birdface 10:03 27 Oct 2010

If it starts in safe mode try last good configuration or a system restore to when it was working ok.
Check device manager to see if any yellow exclamation marks beside any of the drivers.

gazmix 11:40 27 Oct 2010

No Yellow ticks in Device manager!

I tried last known configuration, in fact all the options & none of them worked!

It will boot ok 1 out of 6 maybe & go through to show welcome page & then desktop!

I did a system restore to yesterday to before i downloaded Quicktime, it erased quicktime!

The reason i'm thinking it boots using the disk drive is because the same noise i ear when i close the disk drive is the same noise it makes when it reboots, like an air compression sound!

Is there a way to check which drive its using to boot?
When i put a usb stick in before i boot, it says its booting from that, which i know isn't good, but it doesn't show the 'Appologies' page!

birdface 13:03 27 Oct 2010

This was the advice i recieved for an old Dell optiplex 320.

To move the items in the Boot Sequence list you select the item and use the keyboard letter U for up or the letter D for down
---
You need to switch of the bios Floppy Seek
Left column > 'Drives' and press Enter on keyboard
'Diskette Drive' > press Enter > select OFF (at the top of screen on righthandside) > and press Enter on keyboard > press ESC and exit Setup

Ignore the rest of the Drives, but for information the 1st boot device is listed as Drive 0 so don't worry about that numbering.

After it has booted up to Windows, close pc down and then reboot

Bios will now stop looking for a floppy drive and boot into Windows from your HDD.

gazmix 16:04 27 Oct 2010

Thanks Buteman

Is this how i find the boot sequence list?

click here

hoping this is the issue!!!!??

birdface 16:20 27 Oct 2010

On the one I was using it was simple.
Just looked for the drives and they were on a panel on the left.
And it was just a matter of clicking on the floppy and following the advice given.

Left column > 'Drives' and press Enter on keyboard
'Diskette Drive' > press Enter > select OFF (at the top of screen on righthandside) > and press Enter on keyboard > press ESC and exit Setup

It was as easy as that it was the first time I had changed anything in the Bios and it went well.

gazmix 16:14 28 Oct 2010

I can see 1st boot 2nd boot & 3rd boot. Which one do i set to HDD as i assume i want this to be what starts 1st i assume!

Will do it on Sat!

gazmix 09:55 04 Nov 2010

anyone please!! do i press f12 to get into bios

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:24 04 Nov 2010

Set HDD as first boot device others then do not matter you can always set as disabled,

Preference is
DVD 1st
HDD 2nd
USB third

but as you appear to have trouble set

HDD 1st
disable 2nd
disable 3rd

gazmix 15:33 05 Nov 2010

would this always make my pc start with HD & will the settings you say, mess anything else up?

The prob i have on startup seems to rectify when i constantly open & close the Disk drive when the pc is booting before Windows starts!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:59 05 Nov 2010

would this always make my pc start with HD

& will the settings you say, mess anything else up?

Yes

No

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?