XP Startup Issue on Compaq Laptop

mikeystipe 17:58 30 Oct 2009

Hi,

I'm looking for help with the following. I have a Compaq Presario V5000 Laptop on which I was attempting to upgrade from XP to XP Pro. However, having started the upgrade the PC now fails towards the end of the Microsoft XP Pro Setup process saying this is due to a configuration error

There doesn't appear to be anyway to back out of this that I can see. If I remove the XP Pro CD and attempt to boot laptop I have a boot menu which allows me to select either XP (my original OS) or the XP Pro Setup (i.e. The failed installation)

If I attempt to boot to my original XP OS I get an error saying that my "system.sav" file is missing or corrupt and that this can be remedied by selecting the r (repair) option from the setup menu.

Here's the problem - I don't have my original XP Setup disk/CD - Is it possible to create a new one?

Another option is to use the Recovery Partition (PRESARIO_RP) but I'd only want to do this as a last resort or if I can be certain that any files/photos on the disk will not be wiped.

It's not my laptop, hence the caution.

Would be grateful for any advice/links!

Thanks in advance,
Mike

GaT7 18:10 30 Oct 2009

I think the best thing to do is get a suitable external enclosure (links here click here) & do a thorough backup of the laptop hard drive to another PC/laptop to begin with.

Next, use the XP Pro disk to do a fresh install (not upgrade install).

Finally, restore the files, data, emails, etc to the freshly installed OS. G

mikeystipe 21:52 30 Oct 2009

I have a 500GB Buffalo USB Drive that I could attach.
i) Is this suitable?
ii) How do I get access to the files on the laptop when the PC doesn't even boot up into Windows?

iii) Apologies if the above are naive/dim questions!

Thanks
Mike

Strawballs 22:34 30 Oct 2009

Download and burn to disc a copy of Ubuntu and you can run it from the disc without installing and can access data this way I have done it a couple of times.

woodchip 23:26 30 Oct 2009

Ubuntu as to be burned as a IMAGE for it to boot from and uses as Strawballs says not just burn the download. If you have Nero start it then shut the box down that pops up. In Nero Menu you should see Option to "burn an Image" click that and point it to the Ubuntu Download

mikeystipe 18:55 01 Nov 2009

Thanks for the response so far. I'll see whether I can make any headway using them and let you know.

Cheers,
Mike

mikeystipe 19:14 10 Nov 2009

Have created an Ubuntu Image and managed to access relevant files and copy them to an external HD drive for storage. My plan now is to reinstall using the XP Pro disk.

I have a Presario_RP on the laptop so I've still got the option of a restore to a factory reset as a failsafe.

Will provide an update for anybody else unlucky enough to ghave the problem.

Thanks
Mike

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone