xp startup

big geof 10:55 22 Jan 2005

i run xp pro, ever since downloading and installing sp2 my computer runs a lot slower than before,also when it boots up i now get the "log on to windows screen" which i didn't get before,i also find "user accounts setting" in control panel no longer works, i have looked at "system restore" but there are no restore points prior to sp2 installation.

cheers geoff

Jeffers22 11:01 22 Jan 2005

You can always uninstall it via control panel > add/remove programs.

That's what I did, I then made sure I downloaded ALL the critical updates (excluding SP2). I now run XP Pro SP1 plus critical updates and it's all a lot more stable.

johnnyrocker 11:02 22 Jan 2005

uninstall in add/remove progs?

johnny.

johnnyrocker 11:03 22 Jan 2005

must type faster;)) that is exactly the same set up i have as jeffers.

johnny.

Jeffers22 11:05 22 Jan 2005

With SP2 I had crashes several times a day. (Something on my machine didn't like it I guess) Now, with SP1 + CI it only crashes every couple of days. One of these days I'll get motivated to find out why and try to cure it - maybe ....

Jackcoms 11:10 22 Jan 2005

Jeffers22

"Now, with SP1 + CI it only crashes every couple of days".

Which, presumably, means that you didn't bother to undertake any basic PC housekeeping before installing SP2?

One of the first rules of a successful SP2 installation is to give your PC a damn good clean out before installing. ;-)

Jeffers22 11:20 22 Jan 2005

I'll treat the ignorance of that remark with the contempt it deserves. You need to engage whatever little brain you might have before making a post.

big geof 11:39 22 Jan 2005

Many thanks every1 will give it a try

cheers geoff

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

14 best picture books for children

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017