i foolishly tried to upgrade my machine and i was told on restart to put xp installation disc in machine the machine then tried to reinstall windows, i now have to choose which version of xp to load. Is there a way i can remove 1 of the the choices
1. Boot to the desired version of Windows XP you want to keep. Making note of the position in the boot menu. This will be important when you edit boot.ini. 2. Open a command prompt * and type "echo %windir%" without the quotes but with the %. This will give you the current Windows folder you are using.
3. From Explorer, delete the folder containing the installation you want to remove. The original install folder is usually called Windows and subsequent folders will be derivatives of Windows or Winnt.
4. From System Properties [Winkey+Pause/Break] > Advanced Tab > Statup and Recovery > Settings > Edit.
5. Select the Edit button and from notepad, first backup boot.ini, by going to File; Save As and rename boot.ini. to something like boot.inibak.
6. Remove the line referencing the installation not chosen; you made note of in step one.
7. Set timeout=0 so the system boots directly into Win XP (you will not get the boot menu).