XP SP3 Stand-alone package

johndrew 09:29 07 May 2008

Hopefully I`m not wrong and this may prove fruitful.

The update to SP3 is quite large and takes some time to install. In the past PCA has included the likes of SP2 on the DVD/CD which will/has saved many a lot of time and effort in the event of a re-installation or major failure.

If the stand-alone package click here is installable as SP2 was, could it be included on a PCA cover disk or is this not possible with this package or is it illegal?

What do others think and can PCA help?

pk46 11:35 07 May 2008

No problem with download thank god for broaddband
Burnt download to CD.

RobCharles1981 14:52 07 May 2008

Where on the link do I download it???

Joe R 14:59 07 May 2008

RobTheOrganGuru,

free download here. click here

Happy37 15:02 07 May 2008

RobTheOrganGuru

Once you have loded this webpage, please see the bit where it says "Non-subscribers:"

The 3rd item down in this section titled:-

"Windows XP Service Pack 3 stand-alone version" is the one that you want.

click here

I have already downloaded it and will try it tonight.

Good luck!!!

Regards

Happy37

RickyC :-) 15:19 07 May 2008

Hi,
I've spoken with the Windows Product Manager for Microsoft, and unfortunately there are no plans to distribute SP3 on any magazine cover discs. Whilst they were happy for this to happen with XP SP2 (and also Vista SP1), they won't be making the file available for SP3. Of course, I'll continue to discuss this with Microsoft, and will post back to the forums if their position changes. In the meantime, I'm afraid users will need to access the Windows Update site and download the file direct from Microsoft - click here for the download.

regards
Richard

RobCharles1981 15:50 07 May 2008

Cheers

Although I got it from windows updates I'm going to stick it on disk for safe measures!

shakeyone 16:58 07 May 2008

Hi all, i installed sp3 today and after the install had finished i had a problem with the address bar, not being able to put a tick in next to it as it is no longer available. any help with this please?

johndrew 20:13 07 May 2008

Richard,

Thanks for the update. It is a shame that Microsoft appear unwilling to allow the promulgation of SP3 on cover disks, but it is their property.

As I said, it would be handy in the event that a major failure, requiring the download of the update, occurred to an individual but I suppose we all have the option of using one of the sites offering it to us.

Maybe MS will have a change of heart if enough magazines contact them, but then again they want to sell Vista .........

Thanks for trying.

johndrew 20:14 07 May 2008

Hope it works. Keep us appraised.

Happy37 13:27 08 May 2008

johndrew and others

I am reporting back with an update.

I initially tried to download just what my PCs needed via Windows Update, yet both were stuck on "Preparing to Download".

Once that was done, they both sat on "Downloading" for nearly 45 minutes, after which, I thought, what the hell, I cancelled out on both.

I then decided to use my CD to install SP3 from within Windows itself.....a very bad move indeed!!! (for myself anyway...don't know about others)

I let the installer extract the files...once done, it then proceeded to install SP3...or so I THOUGHT!!!

It rolled back on 1 PC, and I cancelled it on the other. Here's how I think everyone should install it (if they haven't already done so):-

I shut both PCs down, rebooted and pressed F8 and selected Safe Mode. Once that had come up, I let the Installer do its thing on both PCs.

Lo and behold, it all finished okay in due course, and I have now got Windows XP SP3 on both PCs.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Happy37

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?