XP SP3 infected on friends laptop

Audio~~Chip 21:44 10 Jul 2010

Got this infection on the laptop which when in windows will not let you access anything and says in short along the line of this programme is infected. I will have the laptop here shortly try to solve over the weekend.

He says he is unable to install any of the tools I recomended like SuperAntiSpyware in Safe Mode, looked in MSCONFIG and nothing untoward in there which would look like a dodgy loading programme.

So how could we get control back of the XP Home SP3 if when in windows nothing will run or execute. Any tools maybe that will run in safe mode maybe.

rdave13 21:53 10 Jul 2010

First off portable SAS; click here

Second is Dr Web Cureit; click here

Download to flash drive /CD and run in safe mode.
A good start.

Audio~~Chip 21:58 10 Jul 2010

Never new SAS had a portable version!

Do I run one of these from the actual memory stick or can I copy & paste to the infected Laptop in safe mode then run ?

Taff™ 21:59 10 Jul 2010

My first is RKill click here

and then malwarebytes click here

We would like a better description of the warning message the computer is throwing up before committing ourselves wouldn`t we rdave13?

Audio~~Chip 22:03 10 Jul 2010

I will have the Laptop in 20mins, will mail back with the name at the top of this windows which pops up.

rdave13 22:04 10 Jul 2010

Please explain your question?

rdave13 22:09 10 Jul 2010

As for RKill it's a program created by a forum member of Bleeping Computers and has no guarantee to work on any PCs as the author states. Only for the availability for Malawrebytes to possibly run.
Is that not so?

rdave13 22:12 10 Jul 2010

Run both programs from the 'memory stick' in safe mode.

Audio~~Chip 23:49 10 Jul 2010

That SAS when downloaded to Memory stick then I tried to run in Safe mode caused windows to freeze until a forced power of and reboot, it wouldn't execute.

Was hoping there would be something within the MSCONFIG List that could be dissabled then boot into Desktop in full boot.

rdave13 23:58 10 Jul 2010

Did you start in safe mose first then connect the flash drive?

rdave13 00:09 11 Jul 2010

The whole point of having antimalware/virus on a flash drive is to be able to boot in safe mode then once Windows has booted with minimum msconfig then you use an external drive (connect to, after boot-up) to try and run the anti vir/mal scan. If that fails then Taff™ will have the answer hopefully.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?