XP SP3 failed

snowy30 23:24 13 May 2008

Thought I check for any Windows updates, there is an update available and it's XP SP3, when clicking 'install updates' then 'I agree' in the window that pops up it fails to download even though the green status bar in the download window goes all the way to the end.

Any ideas why SP3 fails to download?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:27 13 May 2008

Are you sure its failed to download and not just failed to install?

snowy30 02:06 14 May 2008

sorry I mean install

snowy30 22:35 14 May 2008

Why do XP SP3 update fails to install? There are no error codes to go by...I tried about 7 times the past two days to install it but each time it fails.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:56 14 May 2008

1. Download and install subinacl from:
click here

2.copy and pate into notepad

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive%

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f/grant=system=f
subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=system=f

3. Save the file as reset.cmd in C:\Program Files\Windows Resource
Kits\Tools folder.

4. Enter into CMD prompt.

5. Enter the following commands one at a time and click Enter.

cd\
cd "C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools"
reset.cmd

6. Let the program do it's work, it may take quite a while, then run the SP3 installation.

wis 22:58 14 May 2008

if you go to update history click on red failed
does this give error

snowy30 00:04 15 May 2008

I tried entering the commands but they wasn't getting reoognised, instead I went into the Windows Resource Kits\Tool folder and clicked on reset.cmd

It went through the paths of files n folders and now the update don't even work. After clicking Express or Custom button on the update page all I get now is:

Files required to use Windows Update are no longer registered or installed on your computer. To continue:
Register or reinstall the files for me now (Recommended)
Let me read about more steps that might be required to solve the problem

I tried system restore and that left the computer to hang.

snowy30 00:06 15 May 2008

I selected: Register or reinstall the files for me now (Recommended) and clicked continue, and still it doesn't work

snowy30 00:57 15 May 2008

What have you told me to do fruit bat? My msn games are not working as well now :o(

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:23 15 May 2008

"Files required to use Windows Update are no longer registered or installed on your computer. To continue:"

using system restore has removed the new windows update files require to update to sp3.

Go to the windows update site and download the required files, it willdetect missing files and download as required.

snowy30 15:29 15 May 2008

I tried system restore last night, I restored back to the 12th and nothing was changed. I tried to restore to the 10th and it was left hanging.

I went to the Microsoft update site and selected: Register or reinstall the files for me now (Recommended) and it hadn't any effect nor changed anything.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?