I have an XP Pro SP2 running. I went on Microsoft Update and it came up with SP3. I selected d/load and install. It went on to preparing to download, finished that, then completely stalled on downloading. I do not have a particularly slow connection (got broadband 1MBit/s). Is there a problem with windows update and SP3? I've tried several times.
Re updates..are you sure its completely stalled,On the last machine i updated it appeared to stall at the stage you describe for quite a while but eventually went through the process.It takes roughly 40 mins to an hour to complete. Ive also used this on one machine XP SP3 final. click here Ps. There are quite a few threads around where users have experienced problems.So update or not is a judgement call you will need to make.
As *Raven" suggests there are a number of places where it seems to have "frozen" for some time, but in fact on my download it continued in its own good time. It should tell you at the beginning (from Windows Update) how long it will take - mine said 29 mins and it took 28. For at least 15 mins of that it seemed to stall.