XP SP3 beta installation

Splodge 11:55 01 Mar 2008

I haven't seen any mention of anyone else installing the SP3 beta, except one comment claiming that the installation caused lots of problems.

After the PC Adviser admail mentioning its' availability at click here, I went to Microsoft's site and downloaded it. Took about 35 minutes. I took the precaution of copying my hard drive to the secondary using Acronis before installing it.

As the PC Advisor's site reported, there is no obvious difference and I have not bothered to find what is there but I did download the PDF file describing the expected changes.

I have had no problems at all and can see no difference in operation. I now regard it as just another download "fix" which I normally download from "Windows Update" every week and then I run my antiVirus etc. programs.

So, if want to try it, go for it!

cocteau48 12:14 01 Mar 2008

Downloading the registry script from here
click here
allows the MS update site to select and download only those parts of SP3 RC2 which are applicable to your machine.
Anyone who downloaded the full 336MB beta release prior to RC2 becoming available is advised (on the same link above)to uninstall it before running the registry script and installing RC2.

Splodge 13:23 01 Mar 2008

There we are; thanks cocteau48! Once again someone has more expertise than I. I didn't read that bit, just charged in, as usual.

Fortunately, I had not previously downloaded the previous beta release and, probably, the one complaint was from someone who had but not read the detail!

Just as well I back-up to another drive before playing with fire! I must admit to having had lots of agonies in the past, but I enjoy it and have always been able to reserse things.

Incidentally, my Sony is several years old; I suspect some machines would not be as robust as mine!

Stuartli 13:56 01 Mar 2008

I installed the RC1 beta version after a backup, did a full defrag and then backed that up.

My system has run perfectly smoothly and the monthly WindowsUpdates don't not apply to my system so far as I had a "new, more up to date service pack".

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?