XP SP2 Upgrade option

pppc 18:10 04 Dec 2006

I'm running Windows XP SP 2 but it is getting very creaky. Nervy about doing a full re-install what does the 'Upgrade' option on the installation disc's welcome menu do??

Peter C

mattyc_92 18:23 04 Dec 2006

The 'Update' option (only shows on the AutoRun menu) allows you to 'update' older versions of Windows (98SE onwards) to XP, without loosing all your data.

You can also use this option to 'overwrite' your current Windows XP install

pppc 18:38 04 Dec 2006

MattyC

Thank you. A) is what I had assumed - b) is what I am interested in.

I am pretty sure my Windows is corrupted (though SCF has done nothing to help). Would an 'upgrade' re-install refresh my installation without losing programs/files???

PeterC

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:46 04 Dec 2006

if you alreay have XP then you cannot upgrade but you can do a repair install without losing your data.

Repair XP by install over the top of existing systm

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

bluto1 19:49 04 Dec 2006

Until WGA was downloaded to my PC I had an illegal XP Pro SP2. I bought an Upgrade copy of XP Home with the intention of wiping XP Pro, installing Win 98, and upgrading from there. It didn`t work that way because Win XP Pro cannot format itself. So I just pur the XP Home disc in and it worked. I`ve now got an up to date copy of a validated and registered copy of XP Home. Please don`t ask me how it happened, all I can think is that Uncle Bill took pity on me.
By the way , I didn`t know that my XP Pro was illegal until WGA, and I`ve had a few short sharp words with the previous owner.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?