XP SP2. is the icon in the tray annoying you?

hugh-265156 16:06 10 Aug 2004

if like me you use a third party firewall and after installing xp service pack 2 the little security centre icon in the tray annoys you and you want to remove it heres how:

open 'task manager/processes' and notice 'wscntfy.exe' listed, this is the icon in the tray.

to remove it click 'start/control panel/administrative tools/services' and scroll down to 'security centre' click it and set the start up type to 'manual' then restart the computer.

security centre will still be listed in control panel and you can open it from here if you want to.

Sebby 16:30 10 Aug 2004

There's an easier way than that. Believe it or not, Microsoft thought that people might use their own software or hardware firewall.

First, switch off the Windows firewall using the 'Windows Firewall' icon in the control panel. Then open the 'Windows Security Center', click 'Recommendations...' in the 'Firewall' box, and you'll see a check box down at the bottom of the dialog that reads "I have a firewall solution that I'll monitor myself." Check it.

:-)

hugh-265156 18:22 10 Aug 2004

yes you are correct about the firewall monitoring.

but to hide the tray icon though you need to set the service to manual.

THE TERMINATOR 19:46 10 Aug 2004

Here's an easier way than that, right click the taskbar and choose properties, click on customise, find the icon and choose always hide as it's behaviour....TT

hugh-265156 20:28 10 Aug 2004

maybe i should have said 'remove' instead of 'hide' :-)

JayDay 20:43 10 Aug 2004

For my reference when I get SP2

Amyfa 22:03 10 Aug 2004

Open security center and click on change the way security center alerts me, untick all thats in there and the icon in the task bar will go. Well it did for me

The Spires 22:05 10 Aug 2004

Open security center and click on change the way security center alerts me, untick all thats in there and the icon in the task bar will go. Well it did for me, It's all good fun.

hugh-265156 22:09 10 Aug 2004

thanks Amyfa and The Spires.

so much easier.

dth 22:12 10 Aug 2004

Thanks for the posts.

I did have a preview of sp2 on my p/c the other week but ended up taking it off as the taskbar icon got on my nerves.

Eargasm 22:37 10 Aug 2004

Same as JayDay here,

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?