XP sound problems

dms_05 08:26 02 Jun 2008

I'm running XP SP3. If I play mp3 tracks through WMP all is well and I get full sound. However when I'm on the Internet (browser independent) I can't get any sound from websites. I've checked Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices and all the selections are correct.

My Audio Controller is a SiS7012 and the AC97 codec is ALC203. Device Manager reports all OK and a RealTek AC97 device.

Any ideas were to look next?

crosstrainer 08:45 02 Jun 2008

Right click Internet Explorer, choose properties. and scroll through the list of options to ensure that "Play Sounds" button is checked.

dms_05 09:16 02 Jun 2008

It is enabled. And the problem occurs with IE7, Firefox and Opera. I'm now out of any further ideas of where to look!

dms_05 09:20 02 Jun 2008

I've just tried a set of powered speakers and that doesn't make any difference.

So sound OK from WMP but not any other source.

Stuartli 10:21 02 Jun 2008

Have you checked from Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices that your Realtek onboard sound is configured as the Default Sound Device from the Audio and Voice tabs?

crosstrainer 10:34 02 Jun 2008

Uninstall the device and it's drivers.

Download a fresh copy from:

click here

Make sure you have the correct driver ( AC 97 OR HD)

Select the appropriate for your OS

Re-install.

Stuartli 11:02 02 Jun 2008

As the sound is working OK with WMP, it's unlikely to be the drivers, although updating to the latest version won't do any harm, but configuration.

Could be worth checking that all the necessary inputs/outputs are Enabled and not Muted or the slider(s) inadvertently set on minimum, from the Volume icon on the Notification bar.

dms_05 12:59 02 Jun 2008

I have the latest drivers installed and all the relevant sliders are set to maximum (just in case!). Nothing is muted. WMP output is fine (and loud). My soundcard is the only one listed so no other options avilable. Very odd!

I'm going to try installinb a VoIP phone as that will generate an extra soundcard to try.........and I did but still no output via my speakers or a headset, except from WMP.

dms_05 13:00 02 Jun 2008

I've also dropped my Firewall to check that wasn't blocking a port. No difference with or without the Firewall.

brundle 13:44 02 Jun 2008

Sound from websites is usually MIDI or Flash based, provide an example of a problematic site...

dms_05 14:17 02 Jun 2008

Every site! No sound from any. However my Grand Daughter is specifically annoyed about click here

I'll check I have Flash loaded!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone