I'm running XP SP3. If I play mp3 tracks through WMP all is well and I get full sound. However when I'm on the Internet (browser independent) I can't get any sound from websites. I've checked Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices and all the selections are correct.
My Audio Controller is a SiS7012 and the AC97 codec is ALC203. Device Manager reports all OK and a RealTek AC97 device.
I have the latest drivers installed and all the relevant sliders are set to maximum (just in case!). Nothing is muted. WMP output is fine (and loud). My soundcard is the only one listed so no other options avilable. Very odd!
I'm going to try installinb a VoIP phone as that will generate an extra soundcard to try.........and I did but still no output via my speakers or a headset, except from WMP.