XP shuts down with USB connected

andrew-194461 17:28 17 Aug 2004

Having updated (if thats the right word) to XP (home) I found that the start up shut down as soon as the USB connected to either the hub or to a single device was detected BUT the other USB port connected to BT broadband works OK
If I try to start up with all any or even one USB operated device apart from the broadband connection then startup stalls @ the moment it detects the USB device and thats it dead as a dodo

If I unplug the USB hub or anything connected to the USB (apart from the BT modem for broad band) then is starts up OK and if I then plug in the other USB to anything whatever I connect works.

If I switch off and then restart the same problem occurs and as before disconnect the second USB port restart and then reconnect and all is well

What am I doing wrong?

Help appreciated

Werd

Dorsai 17:38 17 Aug 2004

this seems to be a fairly common problem with XP stalling during startup, shut-down or somtimes both.

Maybe SP2 will solve it?

i have two USb BB modems. One causes the PC to stall during start up AND shutdown (and fails to work 1/2 the time too) the other causes the PC to freze during shut down. I have yet to find a solution. SO i just leave the PC turned on 24/7.

andrew-194461 17:43 17 Aug 2004

thanks dorsai

I tend to do that as well

but i really don't like it not working as it should

Werd

Dorsai 17:58 17 Aug 2004

I would like to get it going right too. I have a naggins suspicion it is a case of XP trying to do things in the wrong order.

As step one has not yet been done, step 2 (which XP is trying to do first) hangs, waiting for step one to finish, and Xp is waiting for step 2 to finish, so it can move on to step one. Just a suspicion, and i am probably wrong.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?