XP should be NTFS, so why FAT32 ??

russmini 18:23 03 Nov 2005

Just an observation i have made recently, both Belarc and Diskeeper list the file system as being FAT32 on my comp, but i am running XP Home Edition, which i thought ran NTFS, so why the anomally ?

Any thoughts, help, suggestions welcome.

Thankyou..

RickH0684 18:25 03 Nov 2005

If you purchased your computer from a retailer brand new it is possible that it would have been setup like that, rather annoying when NTFS is much better, however to change it to NTFS the only way I know would involve reinstalling Win XP again, then selecting to format the HD with an NTFS File system, however this is easier said than done when most retailers do not give you a copy of Win XP and provide you with a Restore CD to put it back to factory settings as this wont give you the option. (in my experience anyway)

Not much help but should answer ya question,

Regards,

Rick

Splork 18:28 03 Nov 2005

Not sure about Home, but in XP Pro you can type `convert [driveletter] /fs:ntfs` at a command prompt to change the filesystem. After a complete backup of course.

Curio 18:29 03 Nov 2005
  Curio 20:07 03 Nov 2005

Have just checked my 120Gb External Hard Drive which I converted to NTFS some 12 months ago and the cluster size is 512 bytes as against 4kb for my C Drive. Have had no problems though.

bremner 20:37 03 Nov 2005

Re the cluster size issue - here is the MS explanation:

"On NTFS volumes, clusters start at sector zero; therefore, every cluster is aligned on the cluster boundary. For example, if the cluster size was 4K and the sector size was 512 bytes, clusters will always start at a sector number that is a multiple of 4096/512 for example, 8.

However, FAT file system data clusters are located after the BIOS Parameter Blocks (BPB), reserved sectors, and two FAT structures. FAT formatting cannot guarantee that data clusters are aligned on a cluster boundary.

In Windows 2000, CONVERT handled this problem by forcing an NTFS cluster size of 512 bytes, which resulted in reduced performance and increased disk fragmentation. In Windows XP, CONVERT chooses the best cluster size (4K is the ideal).

To maximize NTFS performance, Windows XP FORMAT and the new OFORMAT tool format a new file system as FAT or FAT32, ensuring that the data clusters are aligned on at least a 4K boundary and that the FAT32 cluster size is 4K or larger."

From click here

russmini 21:11 03 Nov 2005

Thanks for the input so far, have taken your suggestions, ideas, recommendations on board and will have a think about what i will now do. Maybe i will use the convert and just go for it, but i'll leave this open for a bit longer to see if anyone else pops in anything else.

Thanks Again..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?