XP setup hangs on new system

Gary 18:39 27 Jan 2006

Just put together a budget pc for a friend using a pc chips mobo, Sempron 2400,crucial ddr 400 (512 MB) and a Maxtor 80gig ATA/133 hdd. System runs up fine without errors or bad memory check. BIOS sees all drives. All parts are new and I have a genuine win xp home oem o/s. Problem is that when system trys to boot from the windows disk to perform setup it gets as far as "windows is examing your hardware configuration" then the blue windows setup screen .....where it hangs. Seems to me that the pc can't write to the drive. However i have tested the drive in another PC and it appears ok. I can read the windows disk in the other pc. I am wondering if It could be a cable problem or faulty primary IDE or just a mobo fault. Any ideas please!

Gongoozler 20:40 27 Jan 2006

It sounds to me like there is a component in your setup that Windows is having problems with registering. If you haven't done so already, remove everything that isn't crucial to installing Windows, such as additional drives, sound card, modem etc. Also try the memory in a different slot. Is there any possibility that the processor is getting too hot?

woodchip 20:43 27 Jan 2006

When running setup and you get Problems check for Heat on CPU

woodchip 20:45 27 Jan 2006

Check the CPU fan is big enough

Chegs ®™ 21:58 27 Jan 2006

On a previous reinstall I found a similar occurence that stemmed from the RAM getting a bit warm,took the sides off the case and positioned a room fan onto the RAM area and setup ran thru 1st go.Not saying its defo gonna work on your system,but anythings worth a shot surely?

kevinjuan 23:10 27 Jan 2006

I haad a similar problem with a clean instal. Tried a dozen times to get it to load and it just hung. In frustration I turned it off & left it till the next day when it loaded perfectly. Strange, but it may have been getting too warm too.

Gary 00:11 28 Jan 2006

Sorted!! Thanks to all. I was pacing, waiting for a reply so I thought I would unplug the front USB and sound headers from the mobo. Presto! Windows setup ran. Gongoozler had it taped. Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

Illustrator Andrés Lozano on his improv line work, brazen use of colours & hand sketching

iPhone X review

Comment envoyer gratuitement des gros fichiers ?