xp setup don't reconize my hdd

Jwbjnwolf 18:01 08 Jan 2011
Answered

This is my old laptop that trying to install xp onto.
The one that went through vista home then win7 pro then vista ult then mandriva linux then ubuntu and is the one with overheating issues.

just let you know which one for those who have already gone through matters with this pc with me.

My mum has told me to try and get xp on this laptop so can take it off my netbook as the xp is too much for it. when i insert the disk that have, the setup is saying that my laptop has no hdd.
(it is a sata drive) Ubuntu still boots from it but no matter what way i try to format the drive and put it to ntfs, it comes up with an error even from live cd/dvd.

trying to get xp on to be able to see if it still overheats or not and if does, take over to friend who would most likely know if anything is faulty and what is faulty.

GaT7 18:11 08 Jan 2011

What XP disc are you using? Home/Pro/Media Center (retail/OEM) - with SP1 / SP2 / SP3?

If the disc is SP2 or earlier, you may need to install SATA drivers at the start of the install via F6 for SATA hard drives to be recognised.

First tell us the make & model of your laptop, & what drives does it have: floppy &/or CD/DVDrom? G

Jwbjnwolf 19:48 08 Jan 2011

please note downloaded it but hope it does not have a key with it as want to as buy the key.
If it does have an illegal key with it then i will not connect untill have got a legimate key.
I downloaded it when tryed doing that boot menu recovery but it did not have the boot menu.

I am pleased have got rid of linux. Am using a live cd of puppy linux and i must admit that it is very, very cute but pointless for such a powerful laptop.
I think that this pc cannot cope with unix based systems.
i think it much prefres ms dos.

I may also try puppy linux on my netbook as it is kinda sweet.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:35 08 Jan 2011

If you downloaded XP its almost certain to be illegal and probably full of virus trojans and other malware.

I'm not surprised it won't recognise your HDD.

As you seen to be having so much problems with this drive I suggest you remove it from the laptop and connect to another machine and use something like kill disk click here on it to completely wipe it

Jwbjnwolf 20:40 08 Jan 2011

Ok

guess its best to buy a disk with the key rather than using disk to install then buy a key on its own

Strawballs 10:34 09 Jan 2011

If you buy a genuine disc it will have key with it.

Jwbjnwolf 13:55 09 Jan 2011

Where is cheapest place?

GaT7 14:03 09 Jan 2011

Is borrowing a XP disk an option - from one of your school mates perhaps, or even a neighbour/relative/friend? You'll need to borrow the same version & type though: Home for Home & OEM for OEM.

I think we've been through this before in another thread. Didn't you say you had WinXP Media Center on it? G

GaT7 14:05 09 Jan 2011

If not, the only place I can think of is eBay. Some people sell the disc only, & this would be the cheapest.

If eBay is OK for you, let me know the version you need & I'll post an appropriate search link. G

Jwbjnwolf 14:26 09 Jan 2011

If i were to borrow from friend or neighbor, it would be ungenuine.
I would like xp media center/xp pro. I cannot really see the difference between home and pro though.
The main thing is that i want xp for my laptop which is reasonably good at games which i need xp for.
I am not really planning on using it for the net, only really to update security.

It is pointless having xp on my netbook as what i need xp for, i cannot use it for.
also it struggles with windows as it is so heavy on resources so if my laptop can be sorted out and copes with xp, then i will just keep my netbook to linux.(i will have puppy linux as well as ubuntu i think.

Ebay, don't like getting anything technical from, but play.com or amazon would prefer.

what can xp pro do that home cannot do?what other things can media centre edition do except being best one for media and movies, etc?

Around £60/70 at most if can help it.

GaT7 14:51 09 Jan 2011

Right, so no one you know would have a genuine XP disc? What did it have originally - Home/Pro/MC? This will match the Product Key you have stuck on your computer. This is the version you need.

But if going for an entirely new OS (disc & key), your only safe option is to buy directly from a proper store. In other words, do not buy from a third-party seller on Amazon/Play/elsewhere as it could be fake.

I don't think this is cheap. E.g. £85 incl del at one of the recognisable stores click here. Around £68 delivered from a store I'm not familiar with click here.

That's why I suggested eBay to begin with, & buy the appropriate disc ONLY - Home/Pro/MC - depending on what your Product key is linked to. Genuineness can be gauged from photos the seller displays. If not, ask for a photo of the actual disc. If it's hologrammed, it will most likely be genuine. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?