XP Services not starting up Windows Audio

CLONNEN 07:23 20 Feb 2005

Every time I boot up my XP Home computer (runing Service Pack 1) and open up Windows Media Player I get the message :

Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There may not be a sound device installed on your computer, it may be in use by another program, or it may not be functioning properly.

Uninstalling and reinstalling the sound card makes it work again but only until the next boot.

Yesterday when I was looking through the XP Services list and noticed that the Windows Audio service had not been started even though it is on Automatic and always has been to the best of my knowledge. If I right-click on it and select Start on the pop up menu then my sound starts working again.

Why do I have to keep turning it on manually - it only started doing this a few weeks ago. Is it something to do with Windows Update?

The Computer Browser service does exactly the same thing - it is on Automatic but needs to be started manually every time I want to access another computer on the network.

andrew-196854 09:16 20 Feb 2005

just a thought but have you tried dowloading the lastest driver for your sound card???do you know what it is

CLONNEN 10:24 20 Feb 2005

I have a C-Media sound card built into my Medion Computer - according to the Device Manager the driver version currently installed is dated 16/07/2002 which I downloaded from the manufacturers website only last month. I have tried clicking on Update driver in the Device Manager but it doesn't find anything newer than that. Should I Roll Back the driver to the one I was using before?

What about the other Windows XP Services that will not start up unless manually started with a right click in services.msc? Both the Computer Browser and the Windows Audio started acting up at the same time - surely that indicates it is a Windows issue - can a dodgy sound driver affect the Computer Browser service.

Don't know if it related to my other two problems but my Quick Launch taskbar keeps disappearing from my Desktop. Every fortnight or so I have to right-click on the Taskbar and select Toolbars - QuickLaunch (again only been happening since January). I hope this isn't a 2005 bug.

andrew-196854 10:46 20 Feb 2005

you could try rolling back the driver like you say ? i know this may sound silly but have you updated windows and do you have an antivirus program sometimes a virus can cause strange things to happen forgive me if you already have got these. but you could also try windows repair like you said it does sound like a windows problem do you have the proper windows xp disc??ps hope this helps

CLONNEN 10:55 20 Feb 2005

I recently got broadband so I downloaded all the security updates for XP from the last three months in one hit last week. I also downloaded about three Windows Updates at the end of last month. I think there were some Windows Media Player Updates in the bunch - would that have anything to do with my sound problems?

I keep all the Windows Updates on my backup drive so I could try uninstalling the Media Player updates to see if it makes any difference.

I am on Service Pack 1 by the way.

andrew-196854 11:02 20 Feb 2005

may i ask why you have not installed sp 2 , i take it that you have got a antivirus program then , i dont think uninstalling the media updates would work have you tried system restore

CLONNEN 19:28 20 Feb 2005

I haven't installed SP2 because it seems to have problems installing onto my computer. Also it is not compatible with Ebay's Turbo Lister program which I use for creating my Ebay listings.

I am using AVG 7 Free Edition for antivirus protection. I have run a complete scan of my system and have not detected any viruses. I have also done an online trojan scan but again it didn't detect anything. Spybot Search and Destroy and Ad-Aware have both done full scans for malware.

I can't use System Restore because my Restore Points don't go back that far. They only go back to last week. I've been installing a lot of programs lately.

CLONNEN 19:29 20 Feb 2005

I didn't notice the problem with the sound until I tried to play some WAV files in Windows Media Player a few weeks ago. At first I thought it was just a one-off glitch - I uninstalled and reinstalled the C-Media sound device and all was fine. Then a few days later I tried to play a DVD using the DVD software that came with my DVD drive. The DVD played but I couldn't hear any sound. So I exited the DVD software and went into Windows Media Player to see if that was working - lo and behold the exact same error message about there not being a sound device installed came up. So again I uninstalled and reinstalled the sound card. I've been doing this every time I need to use any program that uses sound.

It wasn't until yesterday when I happened to be in the Services screen trying to find out why my networked computers couldn't see each other that I realised the Windows Audio service wasn't activated. I didn't know there even was such a service as I usually ignore the Services that are running in XP - they are supposed to work all by themselves after all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017