XP service packs

jack 17:22 26 Jul 2010

Having restored an 8 years old E-mackine with XP home basic - no Service packs- I need to download them.
What do I need 1 1a 2 and 3[all of them] or will 3 cover the lower numbers?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:33 26 Jul 2010

1 followed by 3 as 3 contains 2

just download the service packs and install then first, then allow XP to install the latest updates (after sp3)

Tip
down load service packs, disconnect from internet, switch off antivirus, install service packs, switch Av back on, reconnect to internet.

lotvic 17:47 26 Jul 2010

I think you just need SP3 as it has all the others included in it.

Download SP3 from Microsoft Download Center and burn to CD for future use
Windows XP Service Pack 3 - ISO-9660 CD Image File click here

ignore the part that says "DO NOT CLICK DOWNLOAD IF YOU ARE UPDATING JUST ONE COMPUTER" as the ISO version will enable SP3 to install on any pc (instead of the customised smaller download that is tailored to specific pc's)

"Overview
Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) includes all previously released updates for the operating system. This update also includes a small number of new functionalities, which do not significantly change customers’ experience with the operating system.
This file is a CD image file for users who wish to create an update CD for Windows XP Service Pack 3, for example for offline installation by administrators.

Supported Operating Systems:
Windows XP Home Edition ; Windows XP Professional Edition ; Windows XP Service Pack 1; Windows XP Service Pack 2"

jack 20:26 26 Jul 2010

I have 3 as an image in my ext drive of bitz n bobs
so have copied that to a stick and will see what happens on Wednesday when I will attack this old beast again.

David4637 20:30 26 Jul 2010

Does XP SP3 ISO contain IE7?
Thanks David

woodchip 20:47 26 Jul 2010

Does XP SP3 ISO contain IE7?
NO

lotvic 20:49 26 Jul 2010

No, SP3 shipped with IE6 but if you have installed IE7 or 8 it will not replace it with IE6
Full explanation of how it works on blogs.msdn.com
"If you are currently running IE7 or IE8 on Windows XP SP2 (XPSP2) and you are thinking of upgrading to XPSP3, read on."
click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:12 26 Jul 2010

Sp3 does not contain sp1 and will nor install if sp1 is not present

lotvic 22:24 26 Jul 2010

Thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\ info duly noted. Will have to check my stuff to make sure I've got SP1 to avoid problem if ever needed to reinstall from CD.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone