XP service pack 3 issues

pgj 09:25 29 May 2008

Is anyone else having XP SP 3 problems?

After installing it my ‘Windows Security Centre’ has stopped recognising my Norton 360 firewall and virus protection.
I have contacted Norton and all they recommend is that I sweep the issue under the carpet and switch off ‘Windows Security Centre Monitoring’ - something that does not fill me with much confidence...

My system also appears to have developed a few other quirks: when shutting down I have 1 or 2 AOL application (?) that I have to manually close before shut down completes.

I've look at trying to contact Microsoft but see that is just about impossible unless you want to pay a pricey fee - not too helpful when the most likely problem is with their update and you pay so much for the pleasure in the first place.

Am I alone?
Any useful advice?

johnnyrocker 09:27 29 May 2008

was the update offered to you via updates or did you download it elsewhere?

johnny

Stuartli 09:29 29 May 2008

The only element of Windows Security Center active on my XP Pro system is for Automatic Updates.

johnnyrocker 09:31 29 May 2008

not very wise.

johnny.

Stuartli 09:32 29 May 2008

Sorry, just done a check - the three elements are active but ZoneAlarm and Avast! both acknowledged as operating correctly.

pgj 09:34 29 May 2008

Yes it was from Microsoft updates.

johnnyrocker 09:37 29 May 2008

auto or did you go look for it?

johnny

pgj 09:40 29 May 2008

Microsoft invited me - message saying updates were available - if I remember right

johnnyrocker 09:43 29 May 2008

try uninstall/reinstall or system restore?

johnny

rdave13 09:48 29 May 2008

For the windows security problem have a look here and method B; click here . Not tried that myself but used the longer method of refreshing the repository folder; click here .Carefully follow the instructions. Although it shows for curing multiple AV's it will repair any faults.
For AOL try the 'one click fixes'.

pgj 10:51 29 May 2008

Hi, have tried this but still the same - my AV is not being recognised.

I followed all the steps... and this was a great lesson - I was sure it was going to fix things. Thanx!!

Any more suggestions?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?