XP service pack 3 BSOD

smy13 20:59 14 Apr 2008

click here

Hi all
I've loaded XP SP3 and it's put my pc into a BSOD loop, I've tracked the problem down and seem to have found a solution - However it's way over my head. I've never used the recovery console before and the instructions it gives I can't follow or get to work. Is there a bright spark out there that can translate it into a blow by blow account of how to enter the instructions it to the command line. As my system dual boots Linux I've tried to access the necessary windows files from inside my Linux OS. unfortunately this does not work I can see the files but can't cut or paste into the windows directories so the above link looks like the only thing between me and a fresh installation

any help gratefully received

MCE2K5 21:36 14 Apr 2008
  smy13 21:52 14 Apr 2008

if anyone else if having the same problem and is new to DOS and the recovery console the the above link does work but you need to enter the command into the command line exactly as I've written it below (but as one long command)
Hope this is helpful to others in the same predicament
Copy c:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386\gdi32.dll c:\windows\system32\gdi32.dll.

slimepit 22:04 14 Apr 2008

Sorry if I seem thick but how do I get to a command prompt when the pc won't start?

MCE2K5 22:08 14 Apr 2008

Boot into DOS click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:12 14 Apr 2008

Set BIOS to boot CD as first boot device
1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R"

Windows will load the Recovery console and may ask you for an Admin password if you do not have a password just press enter.

At the C:\windows prompt type in the command

Copy c:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386\gdi32.dll c:\windows\system32\gdi32.dll

When the file is copied type in

exit

remove the CD and reboot the PC

Windows should now load.

WaTcHiNg 00:08 15 Apr 2008

what was the problem that led you to this being the cause of the problem? I'd like to know just in case I see a similar situation.

smy13 20:53 15 Apr 2008

nice work Fruit Bat /\0/\ your instructions make a lot more sense. Too late for me but I'm sure that the will help someone else.
WaTcHiNg
I'd loaded SP3 and when I rebooted my PC went is to an endless series of reboot. so the first thing I did was F8 to get into the screen that allows you to choose Boot mode and deselected the option to automatically reboot on system failure, that way I could read the next BSOD when it came up. From there it was just a case of making a note of the error code and giving it a Google,

I'll mark this as closed now
thanks for everyone's contributions

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires