XP Service pack 3 and AMD

Cmdr Vimes 12:42 09 Aug 2008

I was wondering if the issue of crashes/endless reboots had been resolved with service pack 3 and AMD machines.

I've got a AMD 64 Compaq presario and have conintually opting not to install the pack. This is getting a little tedious as XP wants to install it all the time. Is it safe to install now or does it need a patch?

gengiscant 12:55 09 Aug 2008

I don't believe all AMD machines are affected.I certainly am as I have an AMD PC with Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe motherboard.
I had the endless reboot problem,so have not bothered to try and install it again and have turned off automatic updates so I am not continually nagged.
It is also necessary to tun off the nagging shield notification.
I update my machine once a week manually.
It works for me.

PO79 13:15 09 Aug 2008

click here for info and workaround.

Furkin 13:46 09 Aug 2008

AMD Athlon - 2400
-----------------
I tried the download version when it first came out,,,,, but try as I might, I couldn't get it to load.
In the end I paid to have a disc version sent to me,,,, "Great" thought I,,,, but again, it wouldn't load.

When I put a post on here, someone suggested that it was because I was still running IE6,,, but as i'd had similar trouble loading the download version of that also (& some bad comments about it) I didn't bother.

Then the other week - I also got the 'Update' version and as I had a bit of time on my hands decided to let it try again - expecting it to fail.

This time it went straight in !

It may be just a matter of keep trying eh ?

Good luck

Furkin 13:51 09 Aug 2008

M.Soft - UK seem to have a team dedicated to this problem.
I contacted them by e-mail, & the replier seemed very knowledgeable about it and offered to get it running,,,, & staying in touch until it did.
As I'd ordered the CD I didn't bother.

Maybe other readers have used their services & can put their opinion here also.

n4165si 14:10 09 Aug 2008

I had the same misgivings regarding this update as i have an Amd chip with Sli board but i went ahead and let the wizard do the installing from a microsoft update and had no problem

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?