XP Service Pack 2 Beta

bob1234 13:32 14 Apr 2004

Anyone tried it? Any opinions? Am just downloading it now, not sure if I'm brave enough!

mdshamilton 13:38 14 Apr 2004

Is there a URL you could share?

bob1234 13:41 14 Apr 2004
  keenan 13:43 14 Apr 2004

Its takes awhile even on BB to download

click here

Have created a seperate partition to try it, however not had time to install as yet.

Sethhaniel 14:13 14 Apr 2004

11 hours download on dial-up !!!!

arricarry 14:19 14 Apr 2004

They have got to put right all the mistakes of SP1 which was a bit buggy, IKernel.exe being one that springs to mind.

poogles_uk 15:18 14 Apr 2004

How much will the cd cost? When will the final version be released? All MS downloads are slow from theiir site at the mo. If you are a bit worried id wait for the final release like i am going to do!! Then get my dad to download it at work on his BB.

bob1234 14:51 17 Apr 2004

Seems to mainly deal with increased security, Anyone else got any commenyts on it.

Forum Editor 14:58 17 Apr 2004

and the final release will be available in June.

As yet, Microsoft haven't finalised decisions about distribution methods, although one of them will be a download, and another will obviously be a CD. I've suggested to them that this is one instance when a magazine cover CD would make an ideal distribution method, but they haven't reacted to that yet.

I have a firm promise that Microsoft will let me know as soon as a final distribution plan is in place, and I'll report back when I hear from them.

I've been running this Service pack (in all its beta versions) for quite a long time now, and can confirm that it seems to be very stable.

rawprawn 15:24 17 Apr 2004

I have been running it for about 2 weeks now and I am quite impressed. It isn't just a question of new security patches, it has an entirely different feel. The only two minor problems I have hit are) it won't recognise Avast AV, although it runs OK, and I put on ETrust AV as supplied by MS and no trouble. 2) I can't get to Zone Alarm settings through the control panel (New Setting ) but it is not a problem. Go ahead & give it a whirl, you can uninstall if you want.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?