XP says new blank CD is full or non-existent

Trikie 12:49 17 Jul 2006

Copying a folder of photos to a new CD I'm getting a message "Insert writable disc to continue. The disc in the drive is not a writable disc or it is full".

On swapping to an existing CD of photos the Open command brings up an empty screen.

When I close the CD drawer the indicator light flashes for a couple of seconds then goes out.

Any ideas what the problem is?

Trikie 12:54 17 Jul 2006

Sorry, wrong words in header - swap "non existent" to "Not writable"

Shortstop 14:49 17 Jul 2006

Hi,

I assume that the CD with photos were written on the same CD writer.

Have you tried a different CD reader or a CD from an alternative source & mass produced? An excellent option would be the cover disk from a PC mag - such as PCA ;o)

If you cannot open this on the writer, then it may well be that either the heads need cleaning [you can buy these] or even that the writer is broken & needs replacing.

Anyhow, this posting will bring your problem back to the top of the list for others to see!

BR

Paul

Trikie 16:56 17 Jul 2006

Thanks Shortstop,

Yes, written on same CD writer.Have tried a PC Advisor disc - still an empty screen.

What does cleaning the heads involve? I'm not the world's best technician.

Shortstop 17:06 17 Jul 2006

It is simply a CD with tiny 'brushes' on it - rather than the other liquid version. This is inserted into the drive like normal & run for the stated time and the brushes clean the laser lens.

However, it sounds as though the CD writer may have gone. These are relatively cheap anyhow click here so it may be better just to but a new one?

HTH

Paul

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?