xp resets before it loads

jcks007 12:07 02 Aug 2009

Hi.

This has just started happening. The computer froze, so i reset it and now it will only get as far as the xp boot screen when it automatically resets and starts again.
It wont load safe mode or any other option, they all get to the same point, the xp screen and then rest.
I have checked the cpu temp and it is fine. I don't actually know how to use the recovery panel.
Does anyone know what i can do to fix this before i have to do a complete re-install. I don't want to do that.

OTT_Buzzard 12:08 02 Aug 2009

First try booting in Safe Mode (press F8 on start-up).

jcks007 12:12 02 Aug 2009

i've tried safe mode it does the same thing.Resets just before it loads.

OTT_Buzzard 12:21 02 Aug 2009

Sorry, you did say that on your original post. My bad.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:42 02 Aug 2009

Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

jcks007 12:55 02 Aug 2009

Thanks, I'm trying this now. Will let you know what happens.

jcks007 13:03 02 Aug 2009

I can't do this i don't have the repair option.

T0SH 13:14 02 Aug 2009

A list of recovery consol commands here first thing I would try is chkdsk /r to repair any file corruption and disk damage

Usually the administrator password blank do not type anything (unless you have set one) just hit enter when you are prompted for it

PS chkdsk will take a long time

Cheers HC

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?