XP REPAIR INSTALLATION

BLUELEN 13:41 08 Nov 2006

Yesterday I did a XP Home repair installation on my dad's PC as windows wouldn't load nor could I get system restore to work either.The only change to the system that had been made in the last 2 weeks was the installing of SKY broadband (and what a saga that was !) which may have altered some configurations. Anyway although through the repair installation he can now access his PC and the internet, the actual time taken was 5 hours. Should I be worried at this excessive time and does it point to more problems?

Also I got the following error messages :

File - SISAGP.SYS Installation disk (AGP) needed
Type path where file located.

Error loading C:\programfiles\outlookexpress\msoe.dll
C:\windows\system32\inetcomm.dll
C:\programfiles\commonfiles\system\wab32.dll
(file may not have installed or it's corrupted)

As he can't access outlook express I presume it's due to the above files.

Any advice on whats happened and how to access outlook express would be gratefully received.
I may not be prompt in replying to any posts as I am having to access PC advisor site thru works PC !! as my home one is offline at present due to connection problem with freeserve/wanadoo/orange !! Been nearly 2wks now!
Thanks anyway

Stuartli 13:52 08 Nov 2006

Repairing XP should take well under an hour.

The SISAGP.SYS installation disk will be connected with an AGP graphics card.

As for the second query, a fresh installation of IE6 (if you can find a copy) would probably suffice or, alternatively, download IE7.

BLUELEN 13:58 08 Nov 2006

Thanks for reply. Any ideas why the repair took so long as it said it would be approx 39mins. Also I presume if he updates to a newer IE then any emails etc will be lost.

Stuartli 14:01 08 Nov 2006

There could be any number of reasons why the Repair took so long.

It could well be time to undertake a proper reinstallation of XP after the necessary backups have been taken...:-)

If you go to OE's Help pages, you will find plenty of advice on how to export and import messages for backup purposes.

BLUELEN 14:09 08 Nov 2006

Yes I feel a new installation may solve a mulitude of problems he has. The only reason I didn't was I know that he has hasn't got data backed up. Also I was bothered about losing his internet connection to SKY as it took so long to achieve! If I can load the missing files from dll.com do you think he will be able to access his current IE application? Thanks

Stuartli 14:12 08 Nov 2006

First try:

sfc /scannow

(note the space). Type it into the Run box (from Start).

You will probably need your XP disk. It will replace any missing or corrupted system files (Windows Files Protection).

BLUELEN 14:39 08 Nov 2006

Thanks will give it a go.

Stuartli 16:19 08 Nov 2006

Just one other point.

To obtain all the earlier Windows XP and Internet Explorer HotFixes, security patches etc after SP2 was released in August 2004 in one go, use the latest version of AutoPatcher from:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?