xp repair doesn't fix - dead pc?

sebkarlsson 13:50 18 May 2008

Hi all,

Two days ago I wake up and go to the computer, which has been on overnight, and see that the screen is scrambled bits of colour. I restart. Windows won't boot and get's stuck at loading page, then freezes. So I restart in safe mode. Same result. :( I restart with last known good configuartion. Same result. :( I can't run safe mode with command prompt either (all I want to do is do a system restore!). I then get a boot cd with tools and run hardware tests on m/b, hdd (incl. chkdsk), graphics card and memory. All seem to be fine.

I then get this boot cd that let's me run a very minimal version of windows (with networking). I can access data on drive c: (this is a 35mb drive b: with this cd) and I can see my data seems to be fine. Yet I can't run programs from c:, I can't run operations from c: (mainly privilidges I guess).

So now I finally found my xp pro cd and have carried out a repair on the current version of xp. Same result. I can't boot windows. I've failed to mention that I have also repaired both the boot and mbr with the repair console.

I don't know what else I can do or where the problem could lie?? Am I now just looking at getting a new hdd and doing a clean install on there and transferring over? New pc?

I appreciate all answers very much!

Seb

Ditch999 13:58 18 May 2008

If you can boot from a cd and have run diagnostics then it is most likely a software issue. Have you tried a System Restore from Recovery Console after booting from XP CD? click here

sebkarlsson 23:51 19 May 2008

thanks ditch!

Sorry, bit long for the reply. I have now run a manual system restore from the recovery console and that achieved nothing - it still hangs at windows load screen. Then I carried out an upgrade/repair install. Same result. I have fixed the boot and carried a different manual restore of the registry (it didn't let me do the same before). Still I cannot run windows, even in safe mode.

I can access the drive from this live cd, have tested RAM, graphics, video and hard disk and carried out a repair install, what else can I do?? :( I'm quickly losing any hope.

woodchip 00:11 20 May 2008

My guess also is faulty Hard Drive, check cpu fan is working ok

woodchip 00:12 20 May 2008

PSU can also be the problem

sebkarlsson 13:14 20 May 2008

Thanks, although my fan seems to be working ok, I'll test the heat on the cpu. Will try to find a tool on my boot cd that will test psu - I guess stress or burn-in tests should be able to check both these factors? (I'll have to play around with them, i'm no technician)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone