XP Registry restore

emmandelo1 02:48 14 Nov 2008

Hi, if there's anyone out there at this time of the morning. I have insurmountable problem with XP not booting properly so have decided to do a clean install. I have all my progs installed on D drive and windows xp is obviously installed on C drive so although the progs are installed on another drive the registry for them is on C drive. If I back up the registry then do a clean install and then restore the registry will the progs work without having to re install them all?

Diodorus Siculus 05:29 14 Nov 2008

Afraid not... it may work for a while but there will be a lot of bugs and wrong info in the registry.

All the various updates that you install from WinUpdate as well as AV updates and so on will have different registry entries and you will not be able to merge the two registries successfully. Further, the booting problems you have now may well cause it to recur.

You can always give it a try though... when XP is fully installed, why not backup the registry, replace with the old one and see what happens. At worst it will waste only ah hours work.

PS "This time of the morning" is 1.30pm where I am :)

emmandelo1 21:40 14 Nov 2008

thanks Diodorus Siculus, thought that might be the case. Never mind, I will try your suggestion though, nothing to lose. Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?