XP refusing to operate normally

[email protected] 20:00 07 Nov 2005

Strange problem on my friends PC. Desktop icons - click and nothing happens! System restore - click nothing happens, several other windows not openening when you would expect. XP SP1 - boots up OK. Click the net icon (wanadoo) and it connects [sometimes] but then nothing - unable to open IE. I first suspected the trojan I had a few weeks ago [KillReg], but I have managed to install AdAware while in safe mode, from a disc, and although the scan picked up lots of low priority stuff there was nothing else. Installing anything appears to go OK then gets cut off prematurely. I have carried out syscheck. Owner does not have any XP discs provided by vendor (local shop). Anyone any ideas on what it may be or what I can try. The PC is on my desk next to me at the moment. Cheers.

[email protected] 20:08 07 Nov 2005

Further to the above; would anyone know if it is possible to download something like Stinger, put it onto a disc and run it on my friends PC from the tray?

[email protected] 21:05 07 Nov 2005

Further to the above; I have downloaded Stinger - to a floppy - to the sick PC - to sick PC "My Docs", but it will not run. The interface window opens but when I click "scan now" the window closes and that's it! I am certain now the PC is infected but just how do you sort it when you are unable to run AV programs?

jimv7 21:27 07 Nov 2005

Boot into safe mode by tapping f8 as the computer restarts, run stinger from there and any other anti-virus/malware programes you can.

[email protected] 21:39 07 Nov 2005

Hi jimv7. I was just about to post that I have managed to sort it - more by luck than judgement I reckon...I managed to get CCleaner installed in safe mode and ran it in safe mode, and the registry errors it found was heaps. I backed up then rand the cleaner. Then I managed to run System Restore in safe mode to a couple of days before the owner said it was dead!, and hey presto it seems to be OK now. I will now install normally all the AV/Malware stuff I normally use and finish the job. Thanks for reading and posting and hope this is of some use to others.

[email protected] 08:56 08 Nov 2005

Just for info: It is possible to download Stinger from McAfee, transfer it to a floppy and run it from the floppy drive of a suspect PC. I have just done it and it cleared Bagle.gen and it's associated files. The problem with the PC was getting it to behave normally in order to run the floppy - this was achieved by installing and running CCleaner in safe mode, then a system restore in safe mode. Then I ran Stinger before disabling System Restore and now I am sure of the stability I am running it again with System Restore disabled. Stinger is now on a floppy in my own toolbox ;-). Incidentally, I installed and ran Diskeeper and the diagnosis screen was 99% red with 66k + fragments!!! Pays to remember the housework...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires