XP RECOVERY WITHOUT RESTORE DISK

neil666 22:03 18 Jan 2007

I HAVE A PC WITH PRE LOADED XP HOME. IT HAS THE LABEL WITH THE XP CODE ON IT. IT IS A PACKARD BELL. THE PROBLEM IS THE HARD DISK IS GONE AND THERE ARE NO RECOVERY DISK WITH THE PC. HOW DO I GET THE WINDOWS XP HOME BACK ON TO A NEW HARD DRIVE,DO I HAVE TO APPLY TO MICROSOFT OR AM I UP THE SWANIE?

VoG II 22:05 18 Jan 2007

There well be a hidden partition for recovery. Did it come with no instructions?

PLEASE STOP SHOUTING!

skidzy 22:10 18 Jan 2007

If the hdd has gone,he/she cannot use the hidden partition. :-))

skidzy 22:11 18 Jan 2007

Neil,looks like a new version of windows,unless like you say...MS can help ?

cycoze 22:13 18 Jan 2007

You will need to get in touch with packard bell click here to see if they can supply you with the relevant discs (they will probably charge).

Alternatively you will have to buy a copy XP and download any drivers that XP does not install.

VoG II 22:14 18 Jan 2007

Via e-mail

poosible partition on the hard drive but cannot get access to it .it looks like it is totally knackered.Tried getting into it various opton but no sucess

=====================

The yellow envelope is for invited personal messages, Please don't do that again ulnless I invite you to do so.

skidzy 22:17 18 Jan 2007

Have you tried F11 on startup ?

You say the drive has gone,can you tell us the systoms,does it boot into windows/into safe mode F8 on startup.

Does it boot at all ?

Any noises from the drive ?

Please give as much info as possible.

its asks you at at least 4 different times during set to make recovery disks, i assume you didnt?
if hdd has gone hp will sell you a recovery disk

packard bell, i mean

skidzy 22:26 18 Jan 2007

A recovery disc will be of no use if the hdd has gone,as a new drive is needed and new windows disc.

oh sorry i thought that was what is was for!
it did say will 'only needed in the event of boot partition being damaged' or something like.
sorry all

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?