XP recovery and drivers DVD will not open

Tropezon 21:36 05 Aug 2007

I have fitted a new Hard drive on a standby PC and loaded XP from the disc that came with the Laptop that I am using.
The DVD drive works and plays commercial DVDs but even though the disc is recognised in My Computer it won't open.
The OS works OK and I may not need what's on the disc but would like to be able to resolve the problem if pos.

skidzy 21:41 05 Aug 2007

Are you saying you have one copy of xp installed on 2 computers ?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:42 05 Aug 2007

"fitted a new Hard drive on a standby PC and loaded XP from the disc that came with the Laptop that I am using."

It is illegal to have the same copy of XP on two machines.
Msoft will assume it is a fake copy and not allow updates.

Try cleaning the CD and and the drive lens.

Tropezon 21:53 05 Aug 2007

Yes I have one copy on 2 computers and don't have a problem with that as the disc was purchased legally, is my property and I only use one machine at a time.
If I get chucked off the forum, so be it.
I have even heard of people buying illegal copies off the internet
I would still like to find out why the disc will not play when others will...... or am I now an outcast!

skidzy 21:57 05 Aug 2007

Im sorry its against forum rules to assist with what can only be called piracy.

Not on my soap box,but you need to buy another copy of XP.

VoG II 21:58 05 Aug 2007

It is not your property - it belongs to Microsoft. you have a licence to use it on one computer only.

Tropezon 22:15 05 Aug 2007

Skidzy, I quite understand about the rules and apologise for breaking one of them.
VoG, You are probably right but I don't recall signing any agreement with MS regarding the use of my disc.
Hope no one else has been naughty, or if they have, don't be as honest as me.

Subject resolved and closed.

skidzy 22:29 05 Aug 2007
  Tropezon 15:41 06 Aug 2007

skidzy
Thanks for the link which I have studied and appear to have fully complied with sections 1.1 1.2 and 1.3, and will comply with section 13.
This no doubt will be subject to interpretation so will have to take my question elsewhere.

skidzy 16:34 06 Aug 2007

I do not want to preach here but;

You said;

" I have studied and appear to have fully complied with sections 1.1 1.2 and 1.3, and will comply with section 13. "

You said;

" I have fitted a new Hard drive on a standby PC and loaded XP from the disc that came with the Laptop that I am using."

Im afraid you cannot do this legally,the operating system must be removed from one of the computers.
Just to clarify,you currently have 2 processors using one copy of XP...this is clearly stated in section 1.1

Though of course others may know a way around this legally,but to me its not legal.

I will say check all drive settings under properties of the drive,sorry thats it from me.

Tropezon 19:36 07 Aug 2007

skidzy
Thanks for remaining polite and I'll make this the final final!
I will comply with article 13 which refers to uninstalling and go back to 98SE with the disc kept after the PC was scrapped, totally destroyed, no longer exists, so hopefully that will be OK as there will only be one system in use.
Hope I can rejoin the "band of brothers" on this forum.
Good Luck.
Harry K.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?