xp recovery administrator password?

ianttt 00:58 16 Sep 2006

am attempting to solve following.

windows would not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\system32\config\SYSTEM

I have used the Evesham recovery disc which came with the computer (in an attempt to repair the file) BUT before I get very far it prompts me for an administator password. I dont recall ever setting up an administrator password. I have tried everything I can think of that I might have used as a password if I was prompted but have had no joy.

It seems I have exactly the same problem as one discussed in thread
adminstrator password XP ?
Posted by bobatnorthway on Thu, 08/06/06

He said he had resolved it but didnt say how!!!

rdave13 01:01 16 Sep 2006

Have you just pressed enter and left the password blank?

ianttt 01:03 16 Sep 2006

yes tried that first didnt work

brundle 01:17 16 Sep 2006
  rdave13 01:18 16 Sep 2006

Have a read here click here .Though my gut feeling would be to ring Evesham customer support and ask for the administrator password for your pc and explain the problem.

the pie eater 11:08 16 Sep 2006

Most administrators passwords are admin try that

961 12:09 16 Sep 2006

In the thread you mention my post details instructions about how to edit the registry so that the system no longer asks for a password

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:46 16 Sep 2006

Windows2k/XP
Try this:

1- boot to the windows xp/2000 CD ,

2- press enter to start setup ,

3- press F8 for the license agreement ,

4- when you get the option to repair the current installation press R to do so ,

5- let it run through and for windows XP wait until it reboots and is installing, devices then

press shift F10 to open a command prompt. For windows 2000 wait until it is registering

components then press shift F10 to open a command prompt. ,

6- In windows XP either type in "nusrmgr.cpl" w/o quotation marks at the command prompt and press enter. For windows 2000 type in "control.exe" w/o quotation marks and press enter. This should open up the user accounts applet in XP and the regular control panel in 2000. ,

7- select the users and change or remove their passwords accordingly, apply settings and close the control panel windows and command prompt windows so that just setup is running again. ,

8- let the inplace upgrade finish.

ianttt 20:06 16 Sep 2006

thanks for suggestions
have tried admin as password and all sorts of other things with no joy.

looked at reg edit tutorial - but you have to be able to get into windows in the first place.

the suggestion from Fruit Bat /\0/\looks promising but wont that re install windows and destroy existing data?

still wish I knew how bobatnorthway solved his problem.

bobatnorthway 22:25 16 Sep 2006

Can't explain why this worked but I persevered & did as jimv7 suggested and instead of pressing 'R' for repair, carry on as in a new installation including f8 to accept T&C then try the repair option instead of a clean install.

bobatnorthway 22:25 16 Sep 2006

Can't explain why this worked but I persevered & did as jimv7 suggested and instead of pressing 'R' for repair, carry on as in a new installation including f8 to accept T&C then try the repair option instead of a clean install.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?