xp recovery

moggers 16:41 27 Nov 2008

Hi Im trying to run a recovery cd for windows XP on my laptop the first 2 times i tried it it got to "installing windows" then came up with a fastal error:
"fatal error. setup failed to install the product catalogs. this is a fatal error. the seyup logs should contain more information".
So i turned the laptop off and decided to try again today but now it has seemed to have stalled at the same place and has not done anything for some time!
Is there anyway I can load windows again or will it not load now that setup is halfway through? A nd anyone know why the cd did not contain the product catalogs??

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:45 27 Nov 2008

This problem may occur if the Setup program does not delete all the files in the WinDir\System32\Catroot2 folder during the removal of the earlier version of Windows.

To resolve this problem, rename the %WinDir%\System32\Catroot2 folder

To rename the %WinDir%\System32\Catroot2 folder at a command prompt, follow these steps:

1. While the Setup program is running, and while the error message still appears on the screen, press SHIFT+F10 to start a command prompt.
2. At the command prompt, type cd\windows\system32\, and then press ENTER.
3. Type rename catroot2 catold, press ENTER, and then restart the computer.
4. Try again to finish the upgrade.

If you cannot start a command prompt while the Setup program is running, start the computer from a Microsoft Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Millennium Edition startup disk, and then rename the %WinDir%\System32\Catroot2 folder. Or, start the computer from the Windows XP CD, and then rename the folder in Recovery Console.

woodchip 16:48 27 Nov 2008

A Recovery CD should clear the drive before it runs the Recovery part. This is not the same as running full XP setup As also loads drivers and Software that was preloaded

woodchip 16:49 27 Nov 2008

Have you made any changes to Partitions on the Hard Drive or done any Hardware updates?????

ronalddonald 16:55 27 Nov 2008

going into safe mode and run malware bytes and anti spy ware scan then try to do the reinstall of xp. could be something on your machine.

i thinks f12 or f10 for safe mode

moggers 16:57 27 Nov 2008

No none at all, I just had the error message come up and did as fruit bat suggested, am now trying a reinstall again but things dont look good stuck on 39 minutes still and not alot of action from the hard drive going on! :-(
Will post the entire error log if /when it does come up again.

moggers 16:58 27 Nov 2008

Yeh the whole reason Im doing this is because of malware, viruses!!!

moggers 16:59 27 Nov 2008

will it boot in safe mode now that im halfway through a reinstall?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:11 27 Nov 2008

If no error messages then stick with it, a reinstall can take some time.

Do not attempt to bbotinto safe mode unless the install is completed or yu have an error message.

moggers 17:48 27 Nov 2008

This is the error message:
"setup had problems registering the following OLE control dll:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\initpki.dll

ERROR:
the signature for Windows XP home edition upgrade is invalid the error code is 426

Setup failed to install the product catalogs. this is a fatal error. the setup log files should contain more info."
Thats the error message tried to boot into safe mode but just took me to the boot menu in BIOS and wouldnt load from the hard drive just flashed back to the screen so had to restart!!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:29 27 Nov 2008

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?