XP reboots - MUP.SYS

steved 09:48 25 Jun 2003

I have an intermitant problem with my PC. When I turn it on it passes the POST tests okay, then starts to load XP - then reboots itself and starts again. This can go on dozens of times, although sometimes it goes on to boot normally.

If I try to boot into safe mode, the PC hangs whern it gets to 'mup.sys' - sometimes, if I leave it on, it will carry on booting after a few minutes stuck on 'mup.sys', sometimes it dosn't.

This first happened after I installed a new cd-rom, although that may of course have been a coincidence...

Any ideas anybody?

steved 09:48 26 Jun 2003

Okay - I've run 'repair' from the XP disc and also replaced the driver for the graphics card, but the problem's still there. Couldn't log in at all last night (tried at least a dozen times), but this morning it went straight in.

Help! What can I try next?

JoeC 10:05 26 Jun 2003

typing

mup.sys

into Google. I did and it threw up several hits, one of which was this one

click here

JoeC 10:19 26 Jun 2003
  steved 10:16 16 Jul 2003

Quite by chance I found the cause - the slave hard drive. I connected and disconnected it several times to check; when it was disconnected XP booted normally, when it was connected again it kept rebooting during startup. Reformatted the drive and the problem hasn't ocurred since.

Hope that helps anybody else who's stuck with this...

stevejd

jamesianwheeler 13:32 14 Mar 2005

I have an unbranded unmarked new multi format card reader. Its the internal sort that plugs onto the 4 pin usb expansion bit on the motherboard. I plugged it in correctly, then turned on my pc wich froze during booting. i then restarted in safe mode, and it starts booting up, but then stops at mup.sys i then did something syupid, and turned the pc on, removed the cover then plugged the memory card reader onto the motherboard. the found new hardware icon appeared on the task bar, and then it dissappeared after a while. I then went into "my computer" and ther were 4 new removeable drives, corresponding to the 4 slots on the card reader. i put a smart media card in the slot, waited a while then clicke on the appropriate icaon, but got the message "no disk inserted" the same was for the other slots. Can someone please give me a hand?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires