XP re-install cannot find HD

essexg 12:25 19 Jan 2008

I am trying to reinstall XP home onto a new SATA hard disk I have installed.

Evesham PC set up is:
+ MSI K7N2 Delta Series (MS-6570 v1.x) motherboard
+ Award BIOS
+Promise Fastbuild Utility 2.0

I'm not sure if all the terminology is right, but:

Attempt 1.
Connected new HD, disconnected existing HD.
Booted from Evesham XP Home recovery CD
No HD detected in BIOS startup.

Attempt 2.
Used 'Fastbuild' to create single stripe raid array on new disk.
Re-boot now detected HD. XP CD launched from CD and installed tempory drivers. When XP installation started got message saying "setup did not find any hard disk drives installed on your computer"

Attempt 3.
After reading up about this error, went to MSI website and downloaded RAID drivers for K7N2 motherboard (nvraid.sys and nvatabus.sys) and copied to CD.
Booted from XP CD, pressed F6, temporary drivers loaded and then I selected the above two drivers.
Again, XP installation came up with same "setup did not find..." message.

Attempt 4.
Rebooted from original HD and connected new HD to second SATA connection on motherboard. Used Acronis True Image 9 to create NTFS partition on new HD.
Turned PC off and just connected new HD to motherboard. Rebooted but now seem unable to Boot from CD.

HELP!!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:45 19 Jan 2008

Attempt 3 was close but unfortunately XP wants to run the SATA drivers(F6 prompt) from a floppy.

If no floppy drive then the usual way is to make a Slipstream disk with both the SATA drivers and XP on.

click here

daxian 12:53 19 Jan 2008

hi essexg .....
you may find that the evesham recovery disk is keyed or locked to the original hard drive (tatooed)
the thing to do is ring evesham support and explain what you are doing (or want to do)and see if they can help....other wise it will be a case of buying a windows disk and using that .....hope this helps
Dave.

essexg 16:14 19 Jan 2008

I did have the two SATA drivers on a floppy.

sscotty 13:26 09 Feb 2008

hi there how big is the HDD because the k7n2 6570 can only take a max 160g HDD its the same mother board i had and i tried to put a 250g one on but no luck i would get it on then it would kick it off. so i cut my loses and got myself a new mother board that i could put a decent size HDD on

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone