XP Professional Security!

Hedontownee 06:11 23 Mar 2004

I am running a version of XP professional but I dont have the original CD .The computer was supplied with XP pro already installed.
I would like to create a secure file containing all the nessesary files and info to re-install if required.
I have a spare 20Ghz HD in a USB caddy
so would it be possible to create a series of files and an appropriate routine or batch file that would, in an emergency, allow me to re-install using this USB caddy
I guess I would also need a bootup floppy to get access to the USB device
It is a belt and braces approach I suppose but I am sure to learn more about XP in the process
Any ideas out there folks
Thanks in advance

Forum Editor 07:06 23 Mar 2004

that the spare drive is 20Gb rather than Ghz?

If your computer was supplied with WindowsXP preinstalled and you didn't get a Windows CD with it you should have received a manufaturer's restore CD that will enable you to restore the computer to its factory state in an emergency. The Windows files will all be stored on a separate partition on your drive, and this is almost always a hidden partition.

Some time ago we obtained a ruling from Microsoft to the effect that it's permissable under the terms of the OEM EULA (End User Licence Agreement) to make a copy of this partition so that you could reinstall the Windows files in the event of a drive failure. You could therefore copy the partition to a seprate location if you wish.

Hedontownee 10:40 23 Mar 2004

Yes you quite the HD in the caddy is 20Gb
Thanks for the info so far.
Could you tell me please how to copy the hidden partition and having copied it how to access it
I presume I would need some sort of a bootable floppy with a "batch" file on it that enable me to "get at" the portable drive which hopefully would contain all the info to re-install
Any help on this is very much appreciated
Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?