XP Product key help

Bike-it 13:33 08 Nov 2008

My neighbour was having a lot of problems with his computer so i had a look at it and found it to be totally infected with viruses and spyware so after a lot of downloading programmes to clean his system i noticed that his automatic updates from microsoft were switched off, so i switched this back on downloaded all the updates from microsoft and it is now telling me that i have 30 days to register windows xp, he does not have any product keys or disc for xp as he has this computer 4 years and has moved house twice in this time and any info he had on his computer is long gone.
is there anywhere on the computer that would store this product key.

MAT ALAN 13:36 08 Nov 2008

click here

this may help...

grumgenhoff 14:27 08 Nov 2008

recently found this...it will get the product key for him

click here

MAJ 14:35 08 Nov 2008

If XP came pre-installed on the PC, there should be a sticker on the PC somewhere, giving the product key.

Bike-it 15:26 08 Nov 2008

Thanks all. tried all your suggestions but no programme will find any product key. xp came preinstalled but part of the sticker on the pc is missing.
Help Help.

tullie 15:40 08 Nov 2008

Suggest your friend rings Microsoft.Also tell him hes an idiot for not having any protection.

rdave13 15:43 08 Nov 2008

Try Belarc Advisor click here

Bike-it 17:13 08 Nov 2008

Ok what happens if after the 30 days have passed and we still cannot get a product key. he now blames me for this for switching on automatic updates from Microsoft,

Sea Urchin 17:16 08 Nov 2008

Have you tried rdave13's link to Belarc Advisor? That will give you the key

chub_tor 17:26 08 Nov 2008

What you need to know about WPA [windows product activation]

There are a few things that aren't readily apparent in the documentation that you should be aware of:
1. You have 30 days from the time you install XP to activate it. If you don't, you'll be able to boot the PC but won't be able to launch Windows without first calling to activate XP.
2. Microsoft will only authorize a maximum of three activations in the first 30 days that you own the product
3. Microsoft will authorize a maximum of eight activations for a product (Although we've heard unconfirmed reports that this has been raised to 11 activations)
4 If you reach the activation limit, you will be required to purchase another license if you wish to continue using the product
5 Reinstalling Windows XP on the same hardware generates the same product key, so the above doesn't affect you. You can reinstall Windows XP an unlimited number of times on the same hardware.

You could try calling 0800 0188354 which I believe is the Windows Activation number and ask them about your problem.

Bike-it 17:31 08 Nov 2008

Will try rdave13s link whenever i get onto his pc probably tomorrow. he now tells me that the computer came preloaded with xp,he never had any discs whenever he bought it new. what if it is an oem installed version of Windows xp?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone