XP Product Key Changer Tool

gourmand 19:40 28 Feb 2011

Hi, I have just repaired a pals laptop, the operating system was Vista which i was unable to repair, and as the E-systems recovery disc had long gone. I have installed a genuine copy of XP that had been unstalled on another machine. (this was done to ensure the laptop was ok and not the problem).
I have now purchased another genuine copy of XP.
Is it ok to use the microsoft "XP Product Key Changer Tool" to use the newly puchased key on the already installed copy, to avoid having to reinstall the OS,Drivers, etc, all over again.
Ypur advice would be appreciated.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:10 28 Feb 2011

Change KEY

Changing the Windows XP product key may be necessary if you discover your current key is pirated or illegal but you don't want to reinstall Windows XP to activate your new legal key.

Changes to the registry are made in these steps. Take great care in making only the changes described below.

1. Click on Start and then Run.
2. In the text box in the Run window, type regedit and click OK. This will open the Registry Editor program.
3. Locate the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE folder under My Computer and click on the (+) sign next the folder name to expand the folder.
4. Continue to expand folders until you reach the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Current Version\WPAEvents registry key.
5. Click on the WPAEvents folder.
6. In the results that appear in the window on the right, locate OOBETimer.
7. Right-click on the OOBETimer entry and choose Modify from the resulting menu.
8. Change at least one digit in the Value data text box and click OK. This will deactivate Windows XP.
9. Click on Start and then Run.
10. In the text box in the Run window, type the following command and click OK.

%systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a

11. When the Windows Product Activation window appears, choose Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to activate Windows and then click Next.
12. Click Change Product Key.
13. Type your new, valid Windows XP product key in the New key text boxes and then click Update.
14. If you're taken back to the previous screen and prompted, choose Remind me later.
15. Restart your PC.

gourmand 22:13 28 Feb 2011

Thank you Fruit Bat, I will follow the instructions to the letter and let you know how I get on in a day or so.

Cheers

gourmand 19:52 02 Mar 2011

A1 thanks Fruit Bat, did what it said on the tin!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?