xp pro wont validate

frankie 19:32 17 Dec 2006

my neighbour says he is getting a pop up saying something to effect non original xp on system please contact your supplier for original,thats not exact but its along those lines,his system two ish years old now,said never had xp disc,got it from local shop now out of warrenty what can he do,the popup is very annoying for him....

bremner 19:34 17 Dec 2006

It would appear that the shop put a snide copy of XP on thje machine.

Either go back to the shop and demand a genuine copy or buy one from someone like click here

birdface 19:53 17 Dec 2006

If he bought it from new, Or it has COA sticker on the side of it with the Key-code on it.He can phone microsoft and explain his problem,They will ask for the keycode,And if thats ok, They will fix the problem for him,

frankie 19:55 17 Dec 2006

thanks for looking,he can get updates from microsoft still,so surely that says his xp is ok.did some pc,s not come with restore on hard drive somewhere..i wonder if indeed these pop ups do come from microsofr,will know more on weds when i go there to check it out

lotvic 23:04 17 Dec 2006

download Belarc Advisor (it will fit on a floppy) click here which will reveal the product key for XP

woodchip 23:18 17 Dec 2006

He will normally be able to get Critical Security updates. No software ones

woodchip 23:20 17 Dec 2006

PS have a look in MSCONFIG to see if there is a box you can remove the tick for the pop up

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?