I have an Evesham system running xp pro never let me down. Today booted up as normal runs through normal load until it gets to welcome to windows screen, computer just hangs and I hear 2 beeps from CPU I can get it to safe mode and have tried a system restore but same problem any ideas would be much appreciated!
You may have a faulty memory module.....If you have more than one stick, try removing them and booting with each in turn (that is of course assuming your machine is out of warranty, some oem's don't like you opening the case)
This happens mainly due to some problem with one of the system files of windows Xp. The file is MUP.sys.
Which maybe due to a hardware problem or a driver problem or may also be due to a virus has corrupted MUP.sys.
Fix1 : If MUP.sys has been corrupted due to a virus action, then try to boot your computer in Safe mode and run a full system virus scan with your anti-virus software, this may fix the problem. The system will boot in safe mode only if its not a major damage to the file. If the system is not booting in safe mode, then refer to Fix2.
Fix2 : In case the system refuses to boot up at all, then it is recommended to run a repair setup of windows Xp. To run repair setup, boot the computer with Windows Xp bootable CD and on installation screen, press R for repair setup. For detailed steps see this link click here
thanks for your quick reply guys i was worried that my hard drive may be faulty, am i write in thinking if i can boot in safe mode my hard drive is ok? not in front of machine at present but will try suggestion fruit bat/crosstrainer many thanks
Repair XP by install over the top of existing system
1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.
2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:
To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.
To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.
3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.
To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.
DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).
4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.
6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.
Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.
Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.