xp pro wont boot (administrators password ?)

bobatnorthway 16:06 17 Aug 2006

I have just built a new system using my old hard drive,it will not boot up even in safe mode, itgoes into a loop with a blue screen that flashes too quickly to read, I have tried repair using the disc to boot from but it asks for administrators password, I am quite sure i did not password protect anything. I am stuck and I do not wish to reinstall and loose my date etc.

rodriguez 16:12 17 Aug 2006

click here enter the 3 digit security code in the box near the top and press the download button. When the CD boots press 1, then select the drive Windows is installed on. It will then search the SAM database and show a list of usernames on your computer. Select the username with the password that you want to reset (which will be your administrator one) and make sure there's a X in the reset box. Then press Y to save and Esc to exit. Restart the computer and the Windows Administrator password should be gone.

splatter 19:12 17 Aug 2006

During the insall or XP PRO you set the administrator password. In HOME version however you don't and the password is left blank. At least that what I have observed.

bobatnorthway 08:18 18 Aug 2006

I have down loaded some software as rodriguez as suggested in order to obtain my admin password from XP, the file I have burnt to a CD is an iso image file, its not bootable and I have tried to open it using a couple of unzip programmes, I am lost can anyone help please.

vinnyT 14:05 18 Aug 2006

it has to be burned as an image, in nero

-Cancel any startup wizard

-File

-Burn image

-find the file to burn, select it, press open

-Burn

Hope this helps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?