XP Pro will only boot to Last Known Configoration

ARB 21:27 02 Apr 2008

Laptop will not boot normally. But works perfectly if I boot to Last Known Good Config.

birdface 08:12 03 Apr 2008

When you boot into last good configuration.Can you do a system restore to a point when the computer was running Ok.Or does system restore not work.

ARB 12:28 03 Apr 2008

The system restore works fine up to a point - when it restarts! At that point it will not load into windows at all (as usual). I then, as always, need to restart will F8 Last Known Good Config etc

ARB 12:46 10 Apr 2008

Of course, each time microsoft does an overnight software update, my laptop is crashed in the morning, part way through boot.

I need to reboot and F* to last known... but this means the update tries again each night.

Ditch999 12:51 10 Apr 2008

Maybe its a Windows Update error? Try finding out which update it is an DL it manually then install it. Do you leave your laptop on all night? Is WU set to check every day at 3am for updates?

birdface 13:28 10 Apr 2008

You could try Dial a Fix. click here If that does not work.Stop automatic updates running.Reboot your computer and try and download updates manually by going to the Microsoft update page.

birdface 13:31 10 Apr 2008

System Restore.If you have Norton you have to switch it off before trying to restore.Or try in safe mode.

ARB 14:07 10 Apr 2008

Thanks for the tries but not any good so far.

I do not have Norton installed.

The Win Update is NOT causing this problem. It is also happening when I power down and boot up normally. Each time it crahes part way through the boot and the ONLY way I can get it back is to F8 Last Known...

I can boot into safe mode but Restore is no use because at the end it automatically reboots and the problem is STILL THERE.

I've tried all the usual checks:

Hard Drive,
Defrag,
Virus,
Spy ware,
Reg clean,
Reg defrag,
Boot without start up items
etc

Any other idears would be appreciated.

Terry Brown 14:14 10 Apr 2008

goto RUN and enter chkdsk /f , this will check your hard drive for Errors
Then goto run and enter SFC /scannow , this will check all your system files and correct any errors.
You may need you XP Cd .
Terry

ARB 14:21 10 Apr 2008

Both of these have been tried several times.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?