XP Pro reinstallation

rovers 20:22 28 Feb 2003

I have two hard disks. Disk(0) is the primary master and is FAT32 with an XP Pro upgrade on it. Disk(1) is new and has a fresh install of XP Pro on NTFS format.

I've been 'messing round' (like you do) and I'd like to start again on disk(1) - it has no data I would want to keep. The cleanest way seems to me to be to reformat disk(1) and do a fresh install of XP Pro on NTFS.

If I do, will I have to delete the disk(1) line from the boot.ini file as well? Or will a new, clean, valid boot.ini be created when I do the fresh install of XP Pro on disk(1)?

dexy 20:39 28 Feb 2003

Have Disk (0) as main boot drive, format Disk (1)from that using computer management.
You can do quick format. Reboot when done, and have boot from CD, agree to all but not to install on your boot drive Disk (0), you should then have choice of drives to install to. On its restarts during insallation, ignore "boot from cd". Good luck :-)...... Dexy.

rovers 17:22 01 Mar 2003

Thanks for the prompt reply Dexy.

All went well with the strategy I outlined in my query. There's no need to boot from CD for the installation by the way, just autorun from the c: drive and choose the d: drive install location in the setup routine (but you have to check an option in the 'Advanced' window to enable asking where the installation is to be done).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?